support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Wanna Try a BASS Sax for the price of a cheap Bari ?

G4M aren`t listing them any more , probably due to a combination of price and lack of interest but there can`t be too many Chinese factories churning out Basses so could be the same horn as the Sakkusu (made by Jinbao) ..

The Horn has now sold ............ it`d be nice if someone on the forum got it :)

There were a couple of "new" Gear4Music bass saxes for sale on eBay a few months ago for around this price. I don't remember the descriptions in detail but it was made clear that they were not in a fully playable condition and that it was up to the buyer to get them sorted. I think they had arrived in that state from China and G4M didn't think it was worth investing money in either sending them back or putting them right.

I would be very wary indeed of buying this bass without having a chance to examine it and play it. In fact I just wouldn't.

Caveat emptor.

Rhys

Dings, dents and general transit damage is repairable but the ones I saw advertised had massive intonation problems. I like G4M stuff but am wary of buying second hand. If the new stuff is junk you can send it back.
Second hand junk you'll get stuck with.

I had a major gas attack for a Bb Bass till I realised it's a lot of money to pay for two tones lower than a Low A Bari. I still have one eye open for a bargain or a do up.

Yeah - My thought was that if the bass is as good as the bari it`s got to be worth a look - it`s Pickup only anyway so you`d get to see the thing first , where on earth you`d get the loan of a Mpc and reed to try it is another matter because I can`t see the plastic doorwedge and flying-goose reed supplied of much help to test... This one at least looks like its been to a tech and used as the strap rings have been moved up the horn .

G4M don`t list a bass anymore - either they learned from the experience or they only arrive in small batches occasionally .

Yeah - My thought was that if the bass is as good as the bari it`s got to be worth a look - it`s Pickup only anyway so you`d get to see the thing first , where on earth you`d get the loan of a Mpc and reed to try it is another matter because I can`t see the plastic doorwedge and flying-goose reed supplied of much help to test. .

If anyone from the Caff wanted to buy it I have a spare bass sax mouthpiece and (unplayed) Vandoren reed that I would happily donate to the lucky buyer.

Rhys

That's a fantastic offer Rhys ....... so anyone on here from Kent after a Bass ?

A lot of bass sax players use(d) a baritone mouthpiece, either with a bari reed or with a bass sax reed. It works surprisingly well, although I think it loses a bit of the body of the bass saxophone sound and can affect the tuning a bit.

But a baritone mouthpiece and reed would be plenty good enough to try out a bass sax and see whether it is a decent instrument and in good playing condition.

Rhys

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom