SYOS

Saxophones vintage Vitos

DavidUK

@Tomasz - is a Vito 35, overhauled 5 years ago but not played since, worth £400 of my money?
If I passed on the 37 & 38, why would I want a 35?

...because I've found one for sale! But I'm getting picky nowadays!

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
The 35 has the System keywork. Which is sorta cool. Which is why someone might wanna own one.

In good tack, their market value is around $800usd (£600)

A 37 is your basic, straight-up no-frills vintage sax. The 35 is anything but....

...if you have never experienced the System (aka 'semi-rationale' although some argue this is an improper label) keyork, it may be worth your time...

Phil

Commercial Café Supporter
Ive a vito kenosha. Basically a Beaugnier assembled in the USA.
Fun with tariff games I suppose ...perhaps a new an upcoming game.

Good horn..no complaints. Solid alto with a good tone.

Do I call it special? No
As good as any pretty good horn?...sure.

Is it a balanced action...Dont think so. But a killer low cost general purpose alto.

I picked it up in a trade for a mouthpiece. No complaints here.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
About Beaugnier, here is an interesting one for sale in France:

Sadly I don't have the cash for this, but it's a beauty, init? :D

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Apropos of nothing in particular, I just won myself an odd bird on eFlay:

An Alto.... Vito Kenosha body and serial #, Model 37 -type keyguards, Vito/Beaugnier-looking keytouches on most of the horn - but the pinky table is 100% Yamaha YAS-21.

I posit this horn was a leftover from Vito, Kensoha when Kenosha shut down and the contract went to Yamaha (?) I have seen early Voto-Yama Tenors with the Kenosha body (left side bellkeys) but Yamaha keywork...but never have seen a horn outfitted with the keywork design of both mfrs.

At least that is what it appears to be....

Will post pics when I receive her.....

ellinas

Everything's fine George! All the best from Athens! The offer for free beers etc. whenever you visit is still … valid :D

Nick Martin

To add to other folk's perceptions, regarding tenors:

Special Perfect: Spread sound, quite dark, mechanism OK but a bit soggy..

39T (Duke Special) altogether different beast: focused, quite bright over a rich core, brilliant keywork, easy altissimo, a giant-killer.

Difference between the two models is a chasm.

majordennis

I'm an admirer of the Vito marque, I had a Noblet/Beaugnier tenor some years ago and it was excellent. I also picked up a Vito/Beaugnier alto around the same time in a pretty distressed state and recently had some time on my hands to put it right, I can't find anything on Kim's site which matches mine exactly, any observations, model number, approximate date would be gratefully received.
DSC00302.JPG

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
I'm an admirer of the Vito marque, I had a Noblet/Beaugnier tenor some years ago and it was excellent. I also picked up a Vito/Beaugnier alto around the same time in a pretty distressed state and recently had some time on my hands to put it right, I can't find anything on Kim's site which matches mine exactly, any observations, model number, approximate date would be gratefully received. View attachment 13410
Looks to me to be more akin to a Vito Special, Kenosha WI. Not to be confused with the Vito Special, France horns - which were basically Vito Dukes.

The 37's had the Bb, B, and C# keycups all on the same side, too. 37's are typically identified by that detail. Here is a Vito 37, Kenosha vs a Vito Special, Kenosha (mine has an unoriginal neck key and Eb guard, but otherwise looks to be same horn as yours):

Vito37:2.jpg
VitoSpecial2B.jpg

Some Kenosha Specials had sheet metal bellbraces, too....

Orange rollers were also a telltale of the American-assembled Vitos, so yours is unlikely to be a France one.

Mid-late 1960's I would say.

Last edited:

majordennis

Many thanks @JayeNM yours is indeed the twin of mine, it is USA assembled, the Kenosha engraving is just visible if you look carefully on the bell. It was the pinky cluster that I could not find a match for, others seemed to have 3 or more rollers.

I parted with my Beaugnier tenor when I had 2 other good tenors and have regretted it ever since, although it went to a good home, playing this one is so far making up for it.

ellinas

@JayeNM is really experienced concerning beaugniers. He's correct as always! I bought my 38 alto from him and it's been the best alto I ve ever played! Same goes with the tenor :)

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
One of my favorite makes of horn and over the past decade-plus they are STILL incredibly affordable (ridiculously underpiced).

I think the Vito name conjures up in 90% of sax seekers an immediate association with the Yamaha 21/23's...'beginner'/'student' horns...and that 90% never bothers doing 5 minutes of research to even learn that Vitos were made long before they subbed to Yamaha or Jupiter....

majordennis

Agree 100% @JayeNM, I have difficulty with the beginner/student label especially as I have never achieved anymore than a lower intermediate standard so find it hard to make comparisons. Snippets I have read suggest that the Beaugnier factory was a producer of quality instruments, we are the lucky ones to have discovered that.

DavidUK

Having had a 37 alto and several Yamaha 21/23 models I have to say the latter were far better.

Still on the look out for a Special Perfect though. Perhaps one from 1952. And most of the other horns here, few of which I have owned: One Day, in 1952 …

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom