support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Unusual Mouthpiece Design by Marten Postma

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
I haven't seen any other discussion of these really unusual-looking mouthpieces designed and made by Marten Postma in Holland.

http://sax.mpostma.nl/EN/index.html

They seem to be radically different to conventional designs, both in terms of design and manufacture. The beak part is wrapped around the body to form the rails and there is no real table for the reed to rest on.

Has anyone seen and played on these mouthpieces ?

Rhys

Very interesting! Thanks for bringing it to light for us.

well Rhys, really intereesting.You just have to go over and try a few out...

So that's where the missing plans for the P1 Lightning went.

So that's where the missing plans for the P1 Lightning went.

Ah, the prototype Lightning. I have early childhood memories of the production version (F3??) flying past, nine of them in diamond formation doing a Teesside Airport visit. What a phenomenal noise.

Nice to see you and YC yesterday - I unpacked the Vixen, and I think it'll be perfect. Looking at the pin location I think the mount will drop straight on. Many thanks, and for the tea also. Good cafe, although one of the other customers was a bit characterful....

Looks very interesting, Rhys, and I suspect you will be tempted (as might I in time), so please let us know the outcome. Are they as expensive as I suspect?

Looks very interesting, Rhys, and I suspect you will be tempted (as might I in time), so please let us know the outcome. Are they as expensive as I suspect?
Given the work that goes into them (I don't care for the engraving though), they certainly are not too expensive.

I played the bari mouthpiece once briefly, but not long enough to form a real opinion. I should visit Marten sometime this year, to discuss some improvements to my bari. His main work is acoustical and mechanical improvements to instruments.

On his website, under 'Conditions - My Mouthpieces' it says:

"Based on the average construction time of a mouthpiece (as I take an average and not any accidental excess that one copy might or might not take) and the added cost of materials, a mouthpiece costs € 300,–.

For that you get a mouthpiece that this time really is handcrafted, with all the individual care a mouthpiece entails. In the event a mouthpiece would require any additional study because of some special need, it could be possible to depart from such an amount. Damage repair can sometimes be possible, but obviously is not included.

A number of copies of all types is available which – if need be – could still be modified within limits. However, bulding new ones out of raw material of course will take some time.

It is possible to test play mouthpieces. For this we must enter into an agreement of some kind.
"

I have emailed Marten, but have yet to hear back.

Rhys

There is a recent (2018) release of a recording by Raaf Hekkema of J.S. Bach's Cello Suites BWV 1007-1012, where Raaf Hekkema uses a mouthpiece by Marten Postma on Suite #4, BWV 1010. (And mouthpieces refaced by Marten Postma on most other suites).

The sonority is hard to describe, I'd say it has great clarity (purity?), without any edge or aggressiveness. I find the sound very appealing.

The CD booklet gives more detail on the gear used. http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Pic-NonVocal-BIG/Hekkema-R-T07c[Challenge-2SACD-booklet].pdf

Huh...these have been around for a while then (6 years, yar ?), yet really....almost zero discussion or use/ownership of them in conventional sax circles.

Pretty compelling 'reinvention', IMHO.....

Back
Top Bottom