All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones Unsure of what brand to buy. Suggestions welcome.

ProfJames

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
@ProfJames I would LOVE to go to Curly's, I always watch the videos of them testing out the instruments, and it seems they really do have something for everyone there. I'll have to seriously consider going over. Sure, I could even make a holiday out of it!

@gtriever do you know anywhere that sells Conn 10M's? And the problem with that is I want a horn that I can use for both, because I still want to have a nice sound when I'm at band.
If you made it a weekend you could visit three or four places. There are several good sax shops in London, a couple in Birmingham, Cambridge, Bradford, Liverpool.

Ads

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Hanson are having a sale on at the moment of old stock, check the website but best to ring and ask, they`ve got some really silly deals going

Ivan

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Hanson are having a sale on at the moment of old stock, check the website but best to ring and ask, they`ve got some really silly deals going
Good saxes maybe

Goddam confusing website(s) though but

Ivan

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
... and their cut price saxes are in fact second hand non-Hanson so quoting the original new purchase price and putting a line through to make it look cheaper seems disingenuous... like Tescos and Sainsbury's '1/2 price' offers

Targa

Targa

Among the pigeons
Locality
KIC 8462852
Good saxes maybe

Goddam confusing website(s) though but
Rebuilding it at the moment, took me a while to find the 'try at home' link I put in the post above.

gtriever

gtriever

Locality
Western KY, USA
@ProfJames I would LOVE to go to Curly's, I always watch the videos of them testing out the instruments, and it seems they really do have something for everyone there. I'll have to seriously consider going over. Sure, I could even make a holiday out of it!

@gtriever do you know anywhere that sells Conn 10M's? And the problem with that is I want a horn that I can use for both, because I still want to have a nice sound when I'm at band.

Katie, if you were on this side of the pond I could recommend several places. Unfortunately I know nothing about vendors in the UK. And, it's perfectly possible to march a 10M or any other horn. I just don't personally recommend it due to the value of the instrument. I've seen what was a really nice 10M with a crushed bell because of a marching band tumble.

Jeanette

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Rebuilding it at the moment, took me a while to find the 'try at home' link I put in the post above.

Agree website can be confusing, not good on emails either would suggest a phone call, really genuine nice people to buy from.

Jx

Ads

Ads

Locality
North West UK
... and their cut price saxes are in fact second hand non-Hanson so quoting the original new purchase price and putting a line through to make it look cheaper seems disingenuous... like Tescos and Sainsbury's '1/2 price' offers

That`s why I said RING (they`re really NOT very internet / Email savvy) . They`re having a sale on SA8s Alastair told me about it on Friday . the Website only has the clarinet deals up at the moment , the Saxes will follow but Hanson`s website is , errrm, counterproductive at best . I`d suggest the OP rings , asks to speak to Alastair and see what he can do . the price on SA8 Silver plated with 24K plated keywork is ludicrously low and there`ll be some 100% UK made (no bits from Taiwan or China) Prototypes floating about soon on sale but ...... and I`ll say it again .. Ring

Ivan

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
D'ya think I should ring?

Ads

Ads

Locality
North West UK
No Ivan as they don`t sell Selmers .. you`ll want to Ring Selmer (or Tescos or Sainsburys) for that .

J

Justin Chune

Locality
The Athens of The North
There is a Buffet 400 for sale in the Yard Sale. A nice sax at a nice price.

Jim.

Jeanette

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Last edited by a moderator:
Targa

Targa

Among the pigeons
Locality
KIC 8462852
Purely out of cruelty make Daveysaxboy an offer, he might even take yours in part-ex.

trimmy

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
@ProfJames I would LOVE to go to Curly's, I'll have to seriously consider going over. Sure, I could even make a holiday out of it!
Make it a midweek break and we could organise a MaSLM meet Liverpool(curlys)/Manchester(Johnny roadhouse) :thumb:

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Come over on a tuesday and we can have a look down the parr st studio and you can give what you buy a blow.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom