support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner twisting the neck

allansto

I am a beginner tenor sax player having played the clarinet for (5 years) many years ago.
I would like to ask the question
If I can rotate a mouthpeice to a comfortable position on the neck,then can I also
rotate the neck a little off centre to facilitate a more comfortable playing position?
regards
Allansto.

No problem, provided the octave mechanism still functions properly. It's possible though you could cause the octave key to almost close but not quite, so you get a leak. Ideally there should always be a teeny tiny bit of play between the bit of the octave mech that sticks up and the loop thingy connected to the octave keycup that it operates (not sure of the correct terminology).

If you have a teacher, check that what you call a comfortable playing position isn't against what they would advise of course.

Hi Allansto, welcome to the forums! I'm on alto, and my neck is lined up with the thumb rest. This caused the octave vent to be permanently engaged. Teacher had to adjust the key that opens the octave vent, but yeah all is finenow and I don't get hand cramps thanks to the better positioning.

If I'm standing, I have the neck pointing straight at my my mouth - this usually means it is aligned with the strap hook on the body of the instrument.

If I'm sitting, I want the same thing, so I adjust accordingly. This can vary according to the height of the chair.

Yes you can with all the caveats that Mr Thomas noted. Do get a good teacher and you are right to ask the question - you should be relaxed, confortable, not kinked and holding no stress in your body. Make sure your neck strap brings the sax to your mouth.