support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Twisted key on new Yany B-WO10

I dunno...I've seen a few with dreadful lacquer problems quite early on.

IMG_6076.JPG
IMG_6077.JPG
IMG_6078.JPG

:)

B990, mid 80ies. But it's a wonderful instrument. I think my optical evolution is even worse.

Cheers, Guenne

I bought the sax at Thomann because of the availability (pretty difficult to find Yany sax since the beginning of the crisis) and the price. This saxophone is very good but also very expensive, that's why I'd rather send it back to Thomann than paying extra to get the key fixed on brand new expensive sax...

Anyway, here is the epilogue:
I got a second quote by another shop in luxembourg, they charge 50 euro to fix the key and check the sax. This quote was accepted by Thomann. Therefore I will go for this solution.

Thanks a lot for all your comments and recommendations.

View attachment 17938View attachment 17939View attachment 17940

:)

B990, mid 80ies. But it's a wonderful instrument. I think my optical evolution is even worse.

Cheers, Guenne
That is just character.

I bought the sax at Thomann because of the availability (pretty difficult to find Yany sax since the beginning of the crisis) and the price. This saxophone is very good but also very expensive, that's why I'd rather send it back to Thomann than paying extra to get the key fixed on brand new expensive sax...

I got a second quote by another shop in luxembourg, they charge 50 euro to fix the key and check the sax. This quote was accepted by Thomann. Therefore I will go for this solution.

Thanks for letting us know and congratulations with you new sax. All that ends well...(very little does).

Looking at the product page at Thomann, the high E key is slightly "bent" relative to the other side keys. From the pictures it is really hard to tell if it is really twisted or if it is just stuck in a "half open" position. Just something for your check list before you take more drastic actions.

yani.jpg

Looking at the product page at Thomann, the high E key is slightly "bent" relative to the other side keys. From the pictures it is really hard to tell if it is really twisted or if it is just stuck in a "half open" position. Just something for your check list before you take more drastic actions.
Nah, it's bent. Look at the position of the touchpiece buffer cork. It's wide open.

This discussion reminds me of my repair mentor who every time the store started carrying a new brand of saxophone, would deliberately bend the side Bb key out and back with his fingers to check how soft the metal in the keys was. Of course he didn't bend the key as much as the one in this thread. :)

That's probably the easiest way to go for Thomann. No additional logistics involved and in addition, the instrument will get a complete checkup -- unless they find more stuff that's wrong, then it could get a bit more complicated.

I hope it won't end up like what I had with my car a few years ago when the temp sensor in the engine block went out and they showed it to me and offered to replace it for $25.- for the part and $50.- for the labor to install it. To reiterate, they had already pulled the old sensor for testing it but putting a new one in as opposed to putting the old one back in they tried to extort another $50.- I respectfully declined, bought an aftermarket sensor and installed it within 5 minutes myself.

I am sure, you won't go through any scenario like that but be aware of additional issues that might come up during the inspection, which won't be covered by the "Check fee".

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom