support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Courses/Workshops TTS Vol 2 for intermediate players?

jaz9090

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, but I’m an intermediate player, been playing many years, but had a big gap after school after which I started playing and had some lessons, then more recently with young children I’ve not been able to continue lessons and practice has been harder. I’d like to improve my improvisation, I feel like I’ve repeatedly got into a rut where I spend a lot of time practicing scales etc. but not really got the “magic“ of good sounding improvisation and end up falling back on the pentatonic/blues scale, or really having to think about which scales I’m using and playing round scales rather than music.

Am I a good candidate for the TTS vol 2 book? Also are there many active users of it on the forum for help and feedback?

Thanks

Solution
Strangely I didn't see this. better late than never I suppose.

Volume 2 is aimed at beginner improvisers, but is good if you are intermediate or even an advanced player that has never done any improvements - or has been struggling with other methods such as Jamey Aebrersold which I believe is not a good way to learn improvising.

Absolute beginners can also use it, but will naturally find progress slower because they also have to learn the fingering, scales arpeggios as well as learning putting them together for improvement so I would recommend anyone does at least know a few basic major, minor, and blues scales first.

Also please be aware that this book is not aimed specifically at jazz - there are already too many of those. This...
Odd that you got no reply.
I've not used TTS. I have had a lot of benefit from the material of Jay Metcalf on better sax, in part because it's good quality and methodical. In part because I was in the right place to put the work in to suck as much value out of it as I could.
Most his stuff is pentatonic / blues based; but he had a new harmonic fundamentals course which is likely to be of the same quality; though I've not done it.

IMHO the thing to do is sniff round YouTube for someone you like the style and sound of; and put the hours into what they have to offer.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Strangely I didn't see this. better late than never I suppose.

Volume 2 is aimed at beginner improvisers, but is good if you are intermediate or even an advanced player that has never done any improvements - or has been struggling with other methods such as Jamey Aebrersold which I believe is not a good way to learn improvising.

Absolute beginners can also use it, but will naturally find progress slower because they also have to learn the fingering, scales arpeggios as well as learning putting them together for improvement so I would recommend anyone does at least know a few basic major, minor, and blues scales first.

Also please be aware that this book is not aimed specifically at jazz - there are already too many of those. This covers pop, rock, blues and modal music (but without getting into what I consider the unpleasant and unnecessary necessarily confusing concept of modes for chord changes)

Vote:
Upvote 0
Solution