Photo contest

Saxophones Trevor James Custom

The trevor james I got has a sloppy octave key on the neck, it almost rattles in its screw where it attaches to the neck. This might have come from the previous owner maybe and may not be a built quality issue from the beginning? I think the octave key mechanism is not as smooth operating as it should be. It works but not super smooth. The metal is so soft on these, you can litterally put a dent in it grabbing the bell with a strong hand and push a dent with your thumb! This cannot be good for the longitivity and regulation?
I often find that crook keys are somewhat loose on the pivot screw. It's not terribly problematic due to the way in which the key works - but if it gets a bit rattly then a drop of stiff grease will keep it quiet.

If the mech isn't smooth it's always worth examining the forks on the thumb key. It's often the case that milling marks have been left on them, which act like little ridges. A quick dress with a smooth file works wonders.

shwwimg_replacing_pin_tube.jpg

Soft bell metal? It might be annealed. This is often done as part of the manufacturing process to relieve stresses and make the metal easier to shape. It's also often touted as a means of improving the tone (hey ho). It won't have an effect on longevity and nor will it affect the regulation.

Back
Top Bottom