support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Transposing

C to B and E to F are a half step. Semitone.
Bb to C is a whole step or a tone
Cb is another name for B.

The major scale is... tone tone semitone...tone...tone tone semitone.
*** (excuse the language)....Thank you @Colin the Bear....there it is xxxxx....I genuinely thought
C to B and E to F was a whole step as there is no #s or Bs and anything from a natural to a # or flat was a 1/2 step........

one whole step from Eb Bb and Ab is Fb, Cb and B# respectively

No. Whole note up from those Eb Bb and Ab:

Eb becomes F (via the two semitones Eb - E - F)
Bb becomes C (via the two semitones Bb - B - C)
Ab becomes Bb (via the two semitones Ab - A - Bb )

Eddie your posts have me laughing and crying simultaneously.
Have a look at a piano keyboard.
There are two sets of black notes one has two black notes and the other one has three.
the third one up in the set of three is Bb
What is the name of the white note that is two semi tones up from Bb ?

If you haven't got a keyboard I'm sure it would help you an awful lot if you got hold of one. You don't have to be able to play. It's simply such a useful instrument to have. For me it's another weapon in my toolbox, I use it when transcribing and transposing, for working out chord sequences for melodies and solos and even composing my own little tunes.

The big benefit for me is that I can see all notes laid out on the keyboard. When a sharp becomes a flat or a note changes its name it doesn't jump up and go anywhere it stays where it is and the relation between its neighbours remains the same. In fact its the visual aspect that helps me understand how music works far better than any books and theories.
Thanks @spike sorry for the tears Ive been crying since I picked the darn thing up.. :) I cant wait to get back to some lessons in Jan I should writelist of things this really isn't the place for my madness....I was thinking that from a sharp or flat to the next natural was 1/2 a step and from a natural to a natural was a whole step..Would the answer be B...thank you @spike please only laughter at my posts....

No. Whole note up from those Eb Bb and Ab:

Eb becomes F (via the two semitones Eb - E - F)
Bb becomes C (via the two semitones Bb - B - C)
Ab becomes Bb (via the two semitones Ab - A - Bb )
Thanks @Pete Thomas .... I have been looking at it completely wrong tho huh...thinking for example that E-F was a whole tone and Bb to B was a semitone..I.E a whole tone incorporates a sharp or flat.. A semi tone is from a sharp or flat to a natural...

C to B and E to F are a half step. Semitone.
Bb to C is a whole step or a tone
Cb is another name for B.

The major scale is... tone tone semitone...tone...tone tone semitone.
last daft question of the day.... ;-) is the major scale the chromatic scale or all scales in different key sigs....

Genuinely thank you all for your input....Happy new year...

last daft question of the day.... ;-) is the major scale the chromatic scale or all scales in different key sigs....
Neither.

The major scale is defined by the intervals between the notes. If T = tone and S = semitone

TTSTTTS

Key of C
C (T) D (T) E (S) F (T) G (T) A (T) B (S) C

Key of Eb
Eb (T) F (T) G (S) Ab (T) Bb (T) C (T) D (S) Eb

Gottabesaid. It wasn't long after starting sax, and to learn to read music, that I got the cheapest Yamaha keyboard and learned scales, chords etc. on that. A lot easier to "get" the Idea than on the sax. Well worth it... I can transpose off the page, now - but still gaze over at the (now upgraded) keyboard if I get lost.

Neither.

The major scale is defined by the intervals between the notes If T = tone and S = semitone

TTSTTTS

serious thanks to everyone for taking the time... particularly @Colin the Bear who nailed it... Thanks @Pete Thomas this makes it simple major scale is the C scale I really thought E-F was a tone / step because there was no flats or sharps and from a sharp or flat to a natural was a semi tone / half step...

Gottabesaid. It wasn't long after starting sax, and to learn to read music, that I got the cheapest Yamaha keyboard and learned scales, chords etc. on that. A lot easier to "get" the Idea than on the sax. Well worth it... I can transpose off the page, now - but still gaze over at the (now upgraded) keyboard if I get lost.
well if you dont need it....thanks @mizmar for the time and patience...... ;)

Neither.

The major scale is defined by the intervals between the notes. If T = tone and S = semitone

TTSTTTS

Key of C

Key of Eb
Eb (T) F (T) G (S) Ab (T) Bb (T) C (T) D (S) Eb
Thanks @Pete Thomas at least I can see that now....and if nothing else (which there has been) its introduced me to the importance of intervals...really important lesson learned...look at things the right way round...you do play a saxophone by blowing in the bell...right....

A chromatic scale is 12 semitone steps.

I think a scale like Cmajor would be called diatonic. I'm basing this on harmonicas.

A chromatic harmonica has a button and can play in any key.
A diatonic is fixed to one scale only.

I think a couple of piano lessons would make things so much clearer for you. Asking a piano teacher to teach you some very basic theory to help your saxophone progression, would give you a good grounding before it all becomes a muddle of jargon and misconceptions.
Most piano teachers know their stuff. You may even make some contacts.

It's not only E/F that are a half step apart, but also B/C. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, please study this piano keyboard:
1641241351349.png

It's not only E/F that are a half step apart, but also B/C. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, please study this piano keyboard:
View attachment 19442
Hi thanks @lydian ... i kind of knew where the sharps and flats were but thought that B-C and e-F were whole steps / tones because there were no flats ..Thanks to this post I now realise that these are half / semi tones because there are no sharps or flats..from what i understood from say A to B is a tone because from A-Bb / A# is a semitone and from Bb / A# - B is a semitone so 2xs semitone =s a tone. I originally thought from i.e. B-C was a tone because thre were no semi tones...

Hi thanks @lydian ... i kind of knew where the sharps and flats were but thought that B-C and e-F were whole steps / tones because there were no flats ..Thanks to this post I now realise that these are half / semi tones because there are no sharps or flats..from what i understood from say A to B is a tone because from A-Bb / A# is a semitone and from Bb / A# - B is a semitone so 2xs semitone =s a tone. I originally thought from i.e. B-C was a tone because thre were no semi tones...
When you start learning your scales, one of them, the whole tone scale, will make it even clearer. Every interval in the whole tone scale is a whole step. There are only 2 whole tone scales. I've used sharps in mine, but you could just as easily use flats.
C D E F# G# A#
C# D# F G A B