old git

Tremendous Bore
Locality
The Palm Tree strewn Wandle Surf Beach under the o
You're always B Sharp, Lee. ;}

Pee Dee

Locality
Dorset
You raise B flat to B, that's a semi-tone, then you raise B to C, another semi-tone. That's two semi-tones equalling one whole tone. If you count it on a keyboard and start with the Bb, it includes three keys, but the intervals are only semi-tones. The convention when counting on a keyboard is to treat the first note as zero, so Bb key is zero, B key is one and C key is 2, again equalling one whole tone.

It sinks in eventually!

Yeah, gotcha!
'course, there aint no B# or Cb, so in that case that makes it one whole tone:welldone

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Thanks for clearing that up Young Col.

Old git, to be pedantic if there are 2 semi-tones between Bb and C on tenor and 3 on alto then there should be 2.4 on a C mel. Explanation below.

alto in Eb has 3 semi-tones between Bb and C
tenor in Bb has 2 semi-tones between Bb and C

5 semi-tones between tenor (Bb) and alto (Eb), therefore 1 semi-tone difference between Bb and C for every 5 semi-tones difference between instrument keys.

Thus, C melody sax in 'C' between alto and tenor. 2 semi-tones higher than Bb tenor. Therefore 2/5 of a semi-tone. so really it's 2.4 semi-tones between Bb and C on a C melody.

Also working the other way, 3 semi-tones lower than the alto implying 3 - 0.6 = 2.4 QED.

Note: That's why my B is always sharp on the C-mel!

lmao:welldone:welldone:))):D

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Totally lost now.
Kev, him of the appalling Parker pun, seems to be suggesting that there are three semitones between Bb and C when playing an alto but only two when playing tenor.
This means that if you play a C Melody, logically there are two and a half semitones.
MY BRAIN HURTS!

Let me see if I can pen a suitable reply. Or maybe I misunderstood.

Here's the bit I was referring to:

So if you ever get an alto and want to transpose to that follow the same.

1. C
2. Eb
3. minor third higher (3 semi-tones up)
4. minor 3rd lower. i.e C transposes to A

So the steps are on an alto (expanding Linky's notes):

1 - Play a C on an alto
2 - This is an Eb in concert pitch
3 - An alto is playing a minor third higher in concert pitch.
4 - So transpose down by a minor third. e.g. to get a C, write/play an A.

Only trouble with this is that the alto Actually plays the Eb below middle C when you play a middle C. So you're playing an octave lower than you thought. Not so penful, was it.

E flatters you, an alto does, while a tenor makes an excellent insect killer (Bee flat...)

Linky Lee

Locality
Salisbury, UK
E flatters you, an alto does, while a tenor makes an excellent insect killer (Bee flat...)

Very good :welldone

I hold my hands up and will admit that I knew about the octave differential but decided to omit this vital piece of evidence as I deemed it 'not of great value'
I tried to make my post as easy to understand as possible.

Evidence shows I failed. Guilty as charge your honour.

Mikec

Locality
Buckinghamshire, UK
Very good :welldone

I hold my hands up and will admit that I knew about the octave differential but decided to omit this vital piece of evidence as I deemed it 'not of great value'
I tried to make my post as easy to understand as possible.

Evidence shows I failed. Guilty as charge your honour.

I reckon which octave you choose to play in is nobody's business but your own, anyway....

Pee Dee

Locality
Dorset
I was down Mamosland last week, and found a reduced in price book, plus two cd's from the 'Guest Spot' range, 'Classics' for the saxophone in Trago Mills in Falmouth. Not got that one, so I bought it, but when I got home, and read the back cover, in small print I find it is for Alto, and I have a tenor:(
Ok, transposition job. I have a gizmo called 'The Amazing Transpo Gizmo Instant Key Finder' .
In the book the tune 'Words' is printed in the key of E. So out with the 'Gizmo' and it tells me, for E, I need to transpose it to A for tenor. I do this with BIAB and find that the higher notes, ie C, transpose to F. Quite a few of these high notes for my liking, but I want it to be in tune with the playalong CD and the the backing, so I bring it down an octave, and playing along with the CD's it sounds fine.
Now I am puzzled. As was previously said to transpose from Alto to Tenor, or Bb to C is a jump of one whole note, or tone, but transposing from E to A,
(Alto music written in E, transposed to A for tenor), there is a jump of three whole notes:confused:
Confusing myself now, hope that is understandable.
Bad as Lsd, and that was metricised thank god. Can somebody do the same for music?:(

Justin Chune

Locality
The Athens of The North
Hi Pee Dee, your gizmo is quite right. I would have transposed it down the way. If you have a line note drop two lines and drop two spaces for space notes. Change the key signature by taking away one sharp, or adding one more flat.

Jim.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Locality
Young, Oldish Pete,
Drop it an octave and if some notes are too low, up 'em a third, major or minor, a fifth or an octave. It'll probably still be in tune with the alto disc.

Give serious thought about a Sherlock Holmes magnifying glass to go with the ear trumpet? :)

Linky Lee

Locality
Salisbury, UK
Or there a few bits of software you can get where you can transpose the backing tracks themselves and not worry about transposing the notes.

I have used a program called slowgold but I think there are better ones out there. not sure if Audacity or Transcribe! can do this, if they can they're nicer bits of software.

Pee Dee

Locality
Dorset
Young, Oldish Pete,
Drop it an octave and if some notes are too low, up 'em a third, major or minor, a fifth or an octave. It'll probably still be in tune with the alto disc.

Dropping it an octave would put it in tune with some of my recent bodily functions:w00t:

Pee Dee

Locality
Dorset
Or there a few bits of software you can get where you can transpose the backing tracks themselves and not worry about transposing the notes.

I have used a program called slowgold but I think there are better ones out there. not sure if Audacity or Transcribe! can do this, if they can they're nicer bits of software.

Ok thanks, I have downloaded Audacity and Transcribe, but not got round to figuring them out yet, so will check it out.

Emma

Locality
Cambridge
Hi,
When learning to transpose from concert pitch to alto sax I used the instructions on this site www.margrietverbeek.nl/transpose.html It gives step by step instructions for many transposing instruments. I now find it easy to transpose any piece of music.

Emma

old git

Tremendous Bore
Locality
Emma,
Are you volunteering? ;}

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom