support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

The Titanic struggle with Trixie the Banshee Bugle

Re: Help me please in desperation

Hi There Lee hows the drafty night shirt been ??? i want a good old chinwag with you sometime but its been a crazy week and its getting busy here so forgive me if i dont get to speak again until monday ... i think we need to start a group on this thing for disgruntled middle aged teenagers or something talk next week
best regards
Mad Jimmy

Hi Tom many times i have tried to get back to you and many times ive been timed out and thrown out of bed....bit like me and the missus on Friday nites thanks for the excellent advice and i d be really glad of any quick clues as to where to find a bari esprit mouthpiece ...sounds just what this old codger needs ...sorry dont have more time right now ...will hopefully talk again next week
best regards
Mad Jimmy

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that I started on the Tenor then added the Alto. A instruction series that I used is Raphael Ravenscroft's "The Complete Saxophone Player". there are 4 books to the series. I started with book 3 and 4, as I had played the Clarinet in high school. I mention the books because it has lots of songs that you may want to play, including Baker Street, Pnk Panther, Take Five, Whiter Shade of Pale and many more. The songs are introduced as an example for that particular lesson.

Cheers.

Rob

Hi Rob very very much appreciate the fact youve got in touch....... now those are books that sing out to me.... i will be hunting for them first thing monday........ you wouldnt happen to have come across Madness`s One Step Beyond anywhere in your travels ?? if not i have a very heavy date with a tenor next week trying to achieve that very low note again and trying to work back from there

i really do appreciate the time youve taken to come up with this info...really nice to hear from someone...hope the zany cartoonish humour made you smile...feel very free to banter me back and hit me with some of your funnies

thank you my friend
Jimmy

Martin somewhere on this web site i just discovered you`re waiting on a tiny bit of facial surgery and all thru the worry of that you were kind enough to get in touch with a daft old beginner...i cant refind that thread again to reply but i hope you get this instead....dont worry so much if they thought it was anything serious youd be under the knife pretty sharpish not waiting for months...i cant give you reassurance about nerve damage but ive been broken and smashed many times myself and i just want to say that ive always discovered that the quicker you get that damaged part (ie your jaw) moving again the better your chances of not suffering it as the body always seems to repair itself much quicker and fully when it desperately needs to be used
so my very heartfelt best wishes to you my friend and get that smile working again the day after despite what they tell you to do all the very best
jimmy

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Mad Jimmy - Welcome to the Cafe, hope you enjoy the banter and the great advise and direction given here!
Listen the Belfast Jazz Orchestra play in Shorts Sports Club - Holywood Road on Monday the 4th June at 8.30pm.
If your free call in and I'll introduce you to some of the best Jazz players in Northern Ireland.
Bring the Clan with you for a great night out!
Stick to the Tenor mate - (Let it sing) Les.

boutye Les that sounds pretty good its great to hear from you... and its just down the road ... i will try to make it but if i cant make that one is that a regular date and veue you play so i can catch another ????
cheers
Jimmy

Boutye Jimmy - The 4th of June is the last gig for this season, starts again the first Monday night in September.
We normally get a good crowd at the Shorts Sports Club!

boutye Les whats the craic...thanks for the invite...... definitely might take you up on that...just one wee thing well 2 really...it will be a very flying visit...... this auld butterfly has to be in his bed before ten...i need me beauty sleep...youll agree when ya see me ...dont want you wicked stop out jazzie types leadin me astray...keepin me out all night on the tiles
....seriously though Les i will have to disappear early on you...i have to get up at 20 to 4 every tues morning for work so i will have to make my apologies and tracks early
the other thing is do you need a member to sign you into Shorts or is it open to the public nowadays oh and thats down beside the pitches near the City airport isnt it ???
thanks again
Jimmy

Jimmy the craic is powerful - Dont need a member to sign you in, but the girl on the door will be looking a fiver for entrance fee!
If you mention my name it will do you no good, i've been married to her for 32 year lol.
First half is from 8.30 - 9.45pm. I'm supprised at you a Jazzie type wouldn't lead you astray, didn't you know we work a 27 hour day and get up 2 hours before we go to bed! The venue is facing Ashfield girls school.
If you can make it - would be great to see you!
Les.

boutye Les
looking forward to it and to meeting your lovely good lady...im mightily impressed...... theres not that many of us auld romantics still about
32 years is something else .......im sure shes a wonderful gorgeous wee person
ive just served almost 29 years of hard labour, retraining , and you never listen to a single word i say do you...plus 5 n a bit more on the far side of that first
and i know exactly where youse are .... i ve been caught lurking oops! i mean i pass there every tues morn on the way to Geordie bests to do me turn
the boss is looking forward too she loves popular jazz
so thanks again for the invite and please do explain to the rest of the gang that i am really a complete beginner that can very barely struggle thru the first octave and a bit yet and am still scaring the mice out of here
cheers Les
see yez all 2nd June
all the hairy chest
jimmy

Jimmy glad to hear you'll be coming along and bringing the Mrs - I must admit I'm a romantic at heart, I bring the wife to all the BJO gigs ( she does the door) lol.
Our 2nd Tenor has taken himself off to Spain over the summer, he has a place out there (Lucky wee man)!
I'll be the only Tenor competing with two Alto's and a Bari (wee buns) lol.
Talk to you more on the night - Remember its Monday the 4th of June 8.30pm.
Oh I forgot to say the Lindee Hoppers will be dancing on the night, they do the 40's type dancing, American jive that sort of thing! Good enterainment all round.
Looking forward till meeting you Jimmy!

Les i cant believe you just told me that,,,youve no idea how often ive wanted to go to a night like that youre talking a glenn miller night then old mate of mine got a chance to go along to a big do and turned it down well definitely be there fantastic thanks man
cheers
jimmy

boutye Les sorry had to cut short on the last small woman ..big noise.. taping high heel sayin get in for your dinner now and its crazy in here this is 15 minutes typing so far.... yes was saying mate gave up tickets ..didnt tell me till it was over ...bet you were there playing i think it was 2004 60th aniversary of the Yanks arriving up at old Langford Lodge air base near Crumlin near sure it was the belfast swing orchestra everyone had to dress in 40s and uniforms etc just my style fantastic listen gotta go again ...suns out this place is mad
maybe get catchin up 2moro
cheers
jimmy

Please do explain to the rest of the gang that i am really a complete beginner that can very barely struggle thru the first octave and a bit yet and am still scaring the mice out of here
cheers Les
see yez all 4th June
all the hairy chest
jimmy[/QUOTE]

Mad Jimmy, We all had to start somewhere - Hats of to you for havin a go! Wait till it gets a grip and you start to enjoy the buzz!
Any questions you have this is the place to ask - Brill peps here and always willing to help you.

howre ya doin Les ..brill weather isnt it... thankyou very much for that last one....looking forward to next week...actually managed to strangle the banshee thru an almost recognisable version of One Step beyonds opening riff there now...... theres some awful squeaks flats and screetchings and im not sure that all the f***y noises were coming from Trixie but i made it ...also stumbled upon a lot of finger combinations of notes which are probably non existant in the real world but somehow seemed ok to a tone deaf old baldy...the mice were queing up along the rafters out the back to throw themselves down the toilet bowl to get away from the awful din but im sitting wi a wee smug grin on me face.. probably doesnt bear any resemblence whatsoever to the original notes or key it was meant to be in but what the heck...a deaf man flying past on a bike would have been well impressed...thanks once again for the encouragement..the next door neighbours would love to get a hold of you but............cheers Les
all the best
Mad Jimmy

Jimmy, the wife and I are looking forward to meeting you both on monday night - I was telling the wee women about you entertaining the mice! We all have to practice mate, I do it in the back bedroom which when we have no one staying it is converted into a music room - We got new neighbour's a fortnight ago Latvian, they are a lovely young couple - the wee woman was hanging the washing out and got talking to them over the fence, now their English is limited - The girl said to the wife "We love the sound of the SAX coming from your back bedroom!!! She was in stitches lol.

at least therell be dulcet tones coming from your back room for the wee Latvian couple here the mice are starting to throw them selves at the cat ...but the cat keeps running away SCREAMING theres just been a mouse sitting here with its hands over its ears and a look of pleading on its face like please stamp on me.....see youse Monday nite give the wee woman an extra big hug from me

Hi Jimmy, was great to meet you last night at the BJO gig - Brill news that you are taking lessons with the Professor, he is a fantastic Saxophonist and as you heard last night something else on the keyboards!
He has all the music you where asking about ie a string of pearls, he will guide you - I would only lead you astray lol.
Glad the reed I gave you made the low notes sing, but remember if you go for a better mouthpiece the reed strength may change.
you are on the right road now - The beginning of a great adventure, and do ask questions in this forum!

Bout ya Les
yeah the crack was great........... did you give Val that big hug from me ............ she really is lovely as is Joan..glad i had her name right after all
the Belfast Jazz orchestra and their lovely lady singer are fabulous ...i notice you very diplomaticly steered clear of any advice on how to remove a wifes high heel from the darkest regions of my netherlands....and i see Kev sent thanks there ....hes keeping a very close eye on me ..i was a very naughty boy.... i had to promise never to say words like (ha had you worried there eh Kev ???)

yep the poor Profs in for it next tuesday
hope youve warned all the neighbours round your way and hope he went out and bought some decent ear defenders
by the way i just took the head staggers and bought a plastic yamaha 4c off amazon and in another moment of sheer madness also ordered a yamaha custom ebonite 4c from sax co ...not sure ive done the right thing but...and thanks again for the reed i think it was just the immediate effect of stepping down from a 2 to a 1 that caused the hiccups ... i`ll get used to it

thanks again Les...(and Kev...im behaving.... i swear it Kev) ;}

Back
Top Bottom