support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds The new Silverstein synthetic reeds are a lot harder than advertised.

Mark Hancock

Café Supporter
Locality
Zurich
I recently bought one of the new Silverstein Ambipoly Tenor Jazz 2 synthetic reeds, and found it was way harder than advertised. I basically couldn't play anything below a low Eb. The hardest cane reed I have is a Select Jazz 3s, and the Silverstein reed is much harder. I normally play Legere signature 2.25 or a 2.5. The strength chart from Silverstein is way off in my opinion...
tempsnip.png

Just for your info, in case you are considering trying them!

Any comments about the tone/sound or too difficult to tell?

I've been humming and hawing for weeks about this reed. I normally use Rigotti cane. I couldn't find very much info or reviews other than on the Silverstein site. Donna Schwartz and Dan Forshaw were the only two I could find.

Anyway I bit the bullet and ordered one on Friday (Dawkes) I went for the 2+ (alto) and it arrived yesterday. I followed the instructions regarding soaking and mouthpiece pairing and had a short 15/20 minutes session. I absolutely loved it! The whole range is easy, overtones not quite as achievable past the 3rd. Altissimo up to A was ok and subtone was good. I thought it was fairly bright but can't compare to Legere as I don't have any. It's a lot cooler today so I will have a decent session later but first impressions are really good and if Dawkes had any soprano reeds I would order one. Value for money? They say it should last 5 months with about 4 hours per day and it cost £33.99 so more than cane but less bother, I don't know yet.

I've thought about purchasing one of these how did you find strength of the reed compared to your Rigotti's?

@jazzdoh I use the Rigotti 2.5M classic reed and the Silverstein seems a little less resistant but not too much in it. If you buy direct from Silverstein they do a strength exchange but unsure with Dawkes as I didn't ask - they probably do. Dawkes only had the jazz reed in stock or I would probably gone for the classic. I will on soprano when I get around to buying one (Thomann have them or direct from Silverstein)

Back
Top Bottom