support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

The Man With the Golden Flute - Sir James Galway.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Well, it's got nothing to do with saxes. But I've just finished one of the most interesting and readable books that I've read in a long time.

I've always been intrigued by James Galway, (Sir James now...), but to me he was one of those mythical superhuman figures that appeared on TV, in the concert hall and at a level way beyond anything I could possibly conceive as human. Like the head of the UN, or a mysterious businessman with a carefully presented public face.

How wrong I've been, this autobiographical book opened my eyes to a humourous, talented and dedicated musician, who's overcome social and financial disadvantages to rise to the top of his profession. It's clear he had talent that was recognised by many who supported him alng the way, but it's also clear that he was prepared to work incredibly hard to develop innate skill into true professionalism.

I read the book through in two sittings. It's like sitting in a room with a master raconteur, who coincidentally happens to be a skilled and passionate musician. Many times I burst into laughter. Even more often I marvelled about the man's sheer guts - his ability to face up to a really difficult decision, take it and carry it out. He walked out of a scholarship to the Paris conservatory for instance.... And that was just one of many controversial acts. His interview wth the Berlin Philharmonic has been told before, but here it's related superbly. As is the end of that episode with masterly understatement.

One can only imagine the determination that brought him to succeed. And also appreciate the humour with which he's able to reveal his life.

One caveat - make sure you have plenty of time available, cos you won't want to put it down.

Highly recommended.

Hi Kev

You make it sound like areally good read I will be having a look to see if you can get it for Ipad I've got plenty of time for reading in cab these days and it's easier on the pad than a book with the light issues....thanks .....john