• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners the lower lip becomes fatter

georgesax

Member
Messages
128
Location
sheffield
Hi cafe members: I have been playing the saxophone about one year, I do feel my embouchure has become stronger. however, I also notice my lower lip becomes fatter than a year ago. I am 42 years old. Is this normal? thanks!
 
Do you mean when you are playing the saxophone? If so, that is quite normal as the lip tissue is pressed up against the reed to act as a "cushion" and "control" the reed's vibrations. This is not the case with the more "severe" soprano clarinet embouchure where the bottom lip is stretched tight and thin to have minimum contact with the reed.
 
I'm found that, too. At least it felt like it.

In my case I think it was because my embouchure had become stronger but I hadn't started to relax it, which is something that came later.

It wasn't until I changed horn that I found I was able to really relax while playing.
 
Well your lips are muscle, I hope, so if you are exercising them they should have a bit more substance I suppose. I've been playing so long I never paid attention although I don't think I've got lips like the incredible hulk so who knows. Never heard of any medical problem connected to lips. Are you sure you're not imagining it?
 
I asked my dentist a few months ago if playing the sax would damage the lower lip, as I was concerned that it could cause irritation and lead to serious issues. He told me that the lips were resilient and I should not worry. He even complimented me on my question!
 
And then there is . . .

1601829815480.webp
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,262
Messages
576,061
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom