support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Thank you for letting me join.

New Member Introduction
This is an introduction (not an ad or question about saxophone)

Paddy2012

Locality
Tyne and Wear
Hi Everyone. Thank you for allowing me to join.
I have always loved the sound of the clarinet, so I have decided to take it up.
I look forward to reading your advice.

Ian

Welcome to the café, hope you like sax too :)

Jx

In French, clair et nette means "clear and neat" (or light-coloured and in focus, depending on context).

Welcome Ian

Welcome, Ian. As a mostly-sax player who also has more clarinets than I really have time for, I'd like to say I hope you'll ignore the clarinet-illiterate bumpkins posting above.

It could be a soprano made by a wood worker.

Welcome Ian! Nobody's perfect. Look, most of us here play sax!

The clarinet is a very nice and sweet instrument. I wish I could double. I tried when my son played it, but the fingerings are different and I'm already busy trying to master too many sizes of sax, so I can't manage all.

Perhaps later. I love the bass clarinet!

Have you tried sax at least?

Ian I guess by now you are getting the measure of our members, plenty double on clarinet, looking forward to hearing more from you :)

Jx

A warm welcome to the cafe. I double clarinet and sax and enjoy both instruments. Have fun.

Ah, Acker Bilk's Stranger on the Shore. I caddied golf for 2 years as a child to afford my clarinet which I still have 50ish years later.

Welcome to the Cafe, a place where most call the clarinet the licorice torture-stick, finding it much more difficult than their beloved Saxophones.

Welcome to the Cafe Saxophone...I quite like playing the clarinet although I find it a bit more difficult than the sax, and not as challenging as the "Coil of Torture" a.k.a. the trumpet...:eek:

Greg S.

Welcome! Thank you for joining us!! We all learn from each other here!

A warm welcome to the cafe. I double clarinet and sax and enjoy both instruments. Have fun.
Hi Justin, May I ask you a question please? I'm an amateur alto sax player - just playing for my own enjoyment more than anything. I would say I am at intermediate level. I've been wondering about learning clarinet - but trying to teach myself. As you double, would you say it's possible to self-teach? My saxes are really nice ones (Selmer Reference 54, a silver Selmer Mark V1 and a Cigar Cutter and so when I read about "young" players should start on a plastic instrument, I am not sure what it would be best to look for - and I am 62!!!I hope you don't mind me asking? Ann

Hi Justin, May I ask you a question please? I'm an amateur alto sax player - just playing for my own enjoyment more than anything. I would say I am at intermediate level. I've been wondering about learning clarinet - but trying to teach myself. As you double, would you say it's possible to self-teach? My saxes are really nice ones (Selmer Reference 54, a silver Selmer Mark V1 and a Cigar Cutter and so when I read about "young" players should start on a plastic instrument, I am not sure what it would be best to look for - and I am 62!!!I hope you don't mind me asking? Ann
Hi Ann. I did it the other way round. I started on clarinet and had a lot of experience before taking up the sax. As the local teachers were too busy, I had no option but to teach myself the sax. I read up on everything I could, and got on with it. One piece of advice was to remember that a sax is not a tin clarinet. They are different instruments and require a different embouchure. Read up on the clarinet embouchure. Also, you will have seal the open tone holes with your fingers. That will be a new experience for you. :) A plastic clarinet will be just fine. The Buffet B12 and the Yamaha YCL 280 seem to be the popular choice these days. I'm enjoying Vandoren Juno clarinet reeds at the moment. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom