support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Sax Tenor saxophone for a novice player

zgollum

Hi everyone!
A little bit about myself first. I'm a long time guitar player, but last December my friend presented me with a YAS-280. I've started taking lesson, absolutely loved playing the saxophone and was making decent progress taking lessons from a professional teacher. All this ended on 24th of February because I live in Kyiv...
Long story short, I'm now living with my friends in Germany and my parents and the test of the family were able to arrive to Berlin this week. It looks like we're here for an unknown length of time, so to bring back some sense of normalcy I'd like to resume my saxophone lessons.
I still have a little hope of seeing my shiny YAS-280 which stayed behind in Kyiv, so I'm thinking of getting a tenor. I want to buy something decent, suitable for a beginner and the budget is around 800-900 euro. I'm asking for suggestions on what to look for, should I go for a used YTS-25 or similar or should I look at other brands/models that have good cost/quality relationship? Any opinions are welcome. I would also appreciate information on any good instrument shops on Dusseldorf/Dortmund/Cologne.

Thanks!

Hi, and welcome.

Such a shame about what's happened in Ukraine, it's good to hear you've made it to somewhere safe. I am sure you're aware that there is a huge amount of popular support for Ukraine here in the UK.

Re your sax, I would suggest you do go for something like a YTS25. A number of reasons:

• They're very good saxes
  • They're pretty widely available
  • They will be similar in feel to your alto
  • If you decide to sell it on, it will be easy to sell it for what you paid for it.

Jon

Hey @zgollum:
Why not rent a horn at a local shop? Many of them offer this service.
Second option would be to take lessons in a local music school and rent a horn there. Either way you can easily get rid of the horn when you can return (hopefully soon).
I would also appreciate information on any good instrument shops on Dusseldorf/Dortmund/Cologne.
I'd suggest asking questions about that in the German forum www.saxophonforum.de
Language is German there, but I'm sure you can ask in English.

All the best, Guenne

Hi zgollum,

I'm so sorry for what you, your family and your all country has to go through.

It's too bad you're so far away from here. I would lend you one of my horns. I have a YTS-23 that would most likely do the job. But if you have a budget of 800-900€ you should be able to find a decent YTS-23, 25, 275 or even 32 in good condition.

About the war, I cannot believe how country leaders keep going to war when we have all witnessed how bad it always gets. For all parties. Even powerful nations always have much to loose going to war. Russia/USSR as well as USA have paid a very heavy price for going to war in various places int the world where they thought they could resolve the situation.

My dad was in the Vietnam war back in the 50s. Yeah last century, he was in his 20s and the USA came in kicking the French out saying they would resolve the issue in no time... No need to get into the details here, but they wasted 20 years and God knows how many young souls battling a war they could not win.

So who in good conscience can decide to go to war against people they qualify as brothers? The logic escapes me.

Take care. I'm all with you!

h
Hi everyone!
A little bit about myself first. I'm a long time guitar player, but last December my friend presented me with a YAS-280. I've started taking lesson, absolutely loved playing the saxophone and was making decent progress taking lessons from a professional teacher. All this ended on 24th of February because I live in Kyiv...
Long story short, I'm now living with my friends in Germany and my parents and the test of the family were able to arrive to Berlin this week. It looks like we're here for an unknown length of time, so to bring back some sense of normalcy I'd like to resume my saxophone lessons.
I still have a little hope of seeing my shiny YAS-280 which stayed behind in Kyiv, so I'm thinking of getting a tenor. I want to buy something decent, suitable for a beginner and the budget is around 800-900 euro. I'm asking for suggestions on what to look for, should I go for a used YTS-25 or similar or should I look at other brands/models that have good cost/quality relationship? Any opinions are est welcome. I would also appreciate information on any good instrument shops on Dusseldorf/Dortmund/Cologne.

Thanks!
Hi there and all the best wishes for you and your family. If you are still in Berlin you can have a look at www.saxophon-service.de
Mike Duchstein
A nice shop with a lot of used and new Instruments, helpful people and you can try out all the horns. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom