support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Tenor "Random" Madness-transposing on the fly using a random generator app

fabriziodalisera

Have you ever tried to traspose a melody "on the fly" in all keys using a random key generator? I challenged myself to do this using "spin the wheel app". I created a custom wheel with 12 keys and then I played the melody from "Tenor madness" on the fly. I didn't cut the video to be 100% honest with me doing the exercise and you watching the video. Who won? Press play to check it!
P.S. Turn on English subtitles in the menu.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnkUW5B-Thk

This is a very good exercise. I used to do this, but a bit differently and recommended to others. Like yours there would be a specific tune, but instead of being given the key it's in one would give themselves a random start note. This means that they have to hear what comes next without thinking in terms of what key they are playing in. It's different in that although one could take time to figure out the key one should instead hear and play automatically in that key. You're in a way doing the same thing by playing the root and then hearing the the rest from there. It's just a bit harder if you're only hearing the start note (unless it's the root or fifth!).

I’m not sure of the need for, or any benefit of using this “generator”.

I do stuff in 12 keys, but usually move around the cycle of 4ths, or the other direction with cycle of 5ths, Or chromatically.

the disadvantage of this “generator “ is that you may well “ miss” some keys.

but I would be interested to hear why you use it. ie, why not just decide on the “ new” key yourself.

Oh yes @Wade Cornell, I do sometimes exactly what you mentioned. To me there is no great difference, since I hear the first note and I identify the interval, and therefore the key. But you are right, it could be interesting.
For example if I think about "Mysty" I hear that the notes are 5th 3rd and 7th. So if you give me the first note I can associate it to both the interval and the key. But it could be harder on some "angular" melodies.

@brianr the main reason why I use the generator is that you must face the unexpected.
If I do the same thing by moving around a cycle of 4th, 5th, cromatically, ecc I find easier to hear the melody in the next key because the melody will shift the same way every time.
If the sequence is random I find it more challenging since it is no predictable.
You wrote the disadvantage of this “generator “ is that you may well “ miss” some keys.
No, the generator immediately discards the option picked, and continues the process till it runs out of options (all the slices in the wheel).
So you are sure that he picked all the options, and all the keys.
This is an option that you can decide to turn on in the menu settings.

Excellent as always!
When I work on 12 keys exercises I always start by moving up on 4rths. After I get confident with it I try moving up or down chromatically ( this has helped me a lot calculating on the fly tritone subs) , and then random keys!
But a time tight random key generator .... is what sets the bar so much higher! Great stuff