support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Tenor Harness Advice Please

I tried kevgermany's saxholder out on his wonderful bari earlier this week and, considering it was set up for him and he's about 2 feet taller than me, it was surprisingly very comfortable. I would invest in one of these instantly as they are well worth the money.

I attended a workshop with Rob Buckland from Manchester University and he was scathing in his opinion of "flexible" neck straps and quote 'would like to see them banned', due to their instability placing variable weight on the lower lip affecting the embouchure.
My use these days is exclusively Jazzlab bari and tenor and Cebulla alto and sop although I sometimes have to fall back on a simple nylon webbing strap stored in each case when the appropriate sling gets left at home.
If you are just starting out Rob Buckland's book is well worth a read.

I attended a workshop with Rob Buckland from Manchester University
RNCM (just round the corner from UofM).
and he was scathing in his opinion of "flexible" neck straps and quote 'would like to see them banned', due to their instability placing variable weight on the lower lip affecting the embouchure.
I've heard him say this too and it's in his (excellent) book. I agree 100% that stretchy, bouncy, straps are evil. Not just the variable weight, but once you start noticing, the motuhpiece feels like it's trying to slip out of your mouth every time you move your body so you automatically start biting down to keep it still. Must remember to bin my old Neotochs, theyre just taking up space in a drawer somewhere.

Last edited:
Well I got myself a Jazzlab holder. I had found they make a XL model but couldn't find one in Canada. While I am happy with the regular model, I do wish I could have tried the XL. I'm a big fellow, 6'1" and 220#. The shoulder arms are comfortable but sometimes feel a little insecure, I would like them to wrap over and farther down my back. The Jazzlab is great for getting the saxophone away from your body without straining your thumbs. I have both a Neotech and BG harness which both if worn tight, jammed the sax against my body making it difficult to properly address the mouthpiece. If worn loose the sax slipped down creating the same mouthpiece alignment situation. Adjustment to the Jazzlab is very stiff, weaker hands may need some assistance to shape the shoulder arms. Use of a mirror to check fitting is a must.
Bottom line, highly recommend it. Neck pain completely eliminated.

Back
Top Bottom