support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Playing Teaching saxophone: too much jazz of the 50s?

I was going to put this in the current thread Help with the next step please, but this somehow grew into something that should have its own thread I think. This is one of those things that crop up from time to time in various discussions

Dexter_Gordon.jpg
My take is that it is now inevitable that mainstream or straight ahead jazz of the 40s/50s (golden era?) is often concentrated on by teachers and learners and is for several reasons:

• It may be fair to say that jazz (and its evolutionary forms) as we know it mostly started out in the US (with roots in the slave plantations and ultimately Africa)
  • It was originally considered as dance music or brothel entertainment (ie way below Classical in terms of "artform").
  • 1940s/50s bebop innovations brought its status up to be considered a more serious art form until eventually it started being taught in colleges. A big reason was that finally America proudly now had its very own type of classical music.
  • Hence its popularity seemed to get rebalanced, ie less as as dance/entertainment music but more as art music
  • The rise in demand for jazz performance education (as possibly more of a peoples’ thing and more accessible than classical) meant that it spread in popularity into secondary education as well as further education.
  • The demand for it may have outstripped the quality professional actual practitioners, many of whom preferred to gig rather than teach anyway. Maybe due to the constraints of academic bureaucracy. Plus it was to a large extent an art that was self taught, learned on the road or passed down orally.
  • So once it's there in academia, the learning process had to be more structured, capable of formal assessment by grades and so a formulaic teaching method came into being. This was a formulaic approach and not only meant it could be assessed, but could be taught by teachers who could learn that formula and just needed to stay one step head of the student.
  • So instead of trying to teach the art (ie inspiration and melodic impro) it was possible to teach the harmony (close to classical anyway) but add the impro element to that by inventing the chord/mode approach which was achieved by a technical analysis of what the masters played, which purely looked at the end result rather than the creative art process of achieving it. (Barry Harris had quite a bit to say about this)
To me the creative method of straight ahead impro involves (1) knowing the individual chord notes, (2) knowing how the chord functions within a key (ie what is the key centre and what degree of the key centre is that chord's root) and (3) understand the relation of that chord within the context of the sequence (what came before and what goes after), and constructing melody around that chord using both (2) and (3).

The chord/mode approach kind of takes a snapshot of the chord and makes assumptions with not necessarily any relevance to the context of (2) and (3).

So as an example we often hear that if there is a G7 you play a mixolydian mode of G. (those are all the notes from C major). That does fill in the chord notes effectively but pays no attention to the context, e.g. what if it's key centre is not C major. If it is resolving in C minor what relevance has the mixolydian got?

On a very basic level I much prefer to think of the chord notes, and think of linking them with other notes from the key centre scale. I'd immediately think "G7 is the V chord of C, therefor my passing notes or suspension are from C major or minor." I'd never think mixolydian in G. With a mixolydian mode G is the "tonic" not the dominant, so confusion there right from the start.

So that is why I don't like that method. It can maybe be equated to "painting by numbers". It can work in that you can play stuff from a scale that will often "fit the chord." Although it is easy to formularise (and so easy to teach in a mathematic kind of way) it has less to do with thinking about the creative quality of the music and understanding tension/release etc.

But the big thing here in this thread is also the fact that to a certain extent the teaching and learning of jazz is focussed a lot on this 60 year old period, as I said the so-called golden age. Is it golden because there is an assumption that earlier forms such as traditional New Orleans, swing or later freeform styles are somehow inferior?

I don't think so. I just think that the early forms are ignored because they are either not "art" or not "cool" (bebop having that hipster image of berets and shades etc). And later forms of "avant grade" are not really possible to formularise as there is little or nothing to grasp in the way of assessable conventional musical elements. Any academic assessment therefore has to rely a lot on subjectivity.

In academia that is getting more and more important as students and parents can get litigious and complain about the grades. With more conventional teaching you can justify a high mark by the fact that there are fewer wrong notes (that weren't in the prescribed mode) but how do you do that with avant garde... what makes on piece of freeform objectively "better" than another?

Last edited:
Strangely enough I can remember the odd times when someone got up and danced to the odd straight jazz tune, seem to remember Miles Davis So What in the back of my mind but my comments were relating to standards rather than strictly Straight ahead jazz.
I do think if a musician wants to make a living out of music then maybe straight ahead jazz is not the most lucrative unless you are one of the top pros and there is going to be limited gig opportunities in this genre only.

The topic is....has the academicization of the genre resulted in a loss of some of it's qualities from the 'classic' era...?...producing perhaps very technically proficient players but also resulting in a contemporary dynamic where straight ahead is lacking something ?...and...is there any way to revise the current academic cuiriculums to perhaps address this ?
Well, there's a second aspect to that as well: Has the focus of all jazz education on the period (roughly) 1945-1960 also limited the value/usefulness/general appeal of the music made by current graduates of the "jazz education industry"?

And I would answer yes to both questions.

Unfortunately it's difficult to go much deeper into the subject without touching on the transition of jazz (however you want to define that) from what it was in the 1930s - a major wing of popular music - to what it is now, a form largely obscure to the general public, who consume for their popular music products that are far removed from the ethos of jazz in pretty much every way.

It'll also be difficult to go very deep into the subject without touching on the growth of the jazz education industry which continues assiduously taking money to turn out expert duplicators of Hard-bop jazz, a form that rose to (limited) prominence in the years 1950-1958 or so, and since then has had pretty much zero impact on popular music or the music business (except for the rather small sales of records by a small number of practicioners like W. Marsalis et al.)

Don't get me wrong; jazz music from the late swing period through the classic Coltrane quartet is my favorite form of the music; it's what I grew up (musically) on; it's what I've devoted most of my musical life to for over 40 years. But in the broader context, it's no longer relevant to anyone except its small group of devotees. Go to a performance by anyone who works in that genre today, and you'll see the audience is pretty much a bunch of musicians, amateur and professional, who work primarily in that genre. This was not the case when Benny Goodman or Chick Webb played the Savoy, not when Dua Lipa or Justin Bieber play whatever their venues are today. Heck, the fact that I have to go back to 1940 to point out an example of real jazz players having a significant audience amongst the general public of non-jazz-musicians, tell us right there that jazz, playing and listening, is now - and has been for a long time - a niche art form. Kind of like the Morris dancers or choirs specializing in monophonic chant from the Renaissance, that I referenced earlier.

Now even with extremely limited appeal, jazz music still has a sizeable number of adherents, and those of us inside the bubble, talking to each other about music, will tend to think it's a bigger deal than it is; but in the wide world, the number of people who know anything other than the most superficial about Duke Ellington, John Coltrane, Joshua Redman, Wynton Marsalis, or Bobby Watson is statistically so close to zero as makes no difference.

I'm not sure that any changes to the academic jazz education industry would ever change that. Which leads to the question: should the jazz education industry change somehow to magically make the music and their graduates more relevant, or should we just give the whole thing a decent burial and let jazz in academia be a subject for the musicologists (like aforesaid monophonic church chants) and a small group of dedicated amateurs (as the aforementioned Morris dancers)? My guess is that the jazz education industry will NOT change, as they see no need to. Note the number of ads for jazz programs in Down Beat. The magazine's something like half ads for both college programs and high school summer programs.

Not sure if this fits in on this thread,but there is a well known pub local to me near wolverhampton,The Trumpet in bilston which as always been a popular jazz venue,i go there but usually not many people attend except regulars and other musicians.Since it reopened after covid it seems to have opened up to more styles of music from jazz,it now has open mic nights,blues night,reggae,people come from birmingham conservatoire to play,rock nights.I think the boss has had to change more variety of guests to come along and play,cause to be fair some nights only the musicians and a couple of regulars would be there.funny though once a month on a sunday afternoon he had a trio on and sometimes it was rammed with me and my friends,before we went onto a northern soul afternoon session,we kinda took the this trio.So i think the boss had to change some of his music,not everyone who goes there now is not into jazz,and some of his regulars,who were have sadly passed on,also the pub had links to one of midlands finest bands Slade.

Can creativity be taught? I've always thought that it's innate and teaching is just a process to facilitate letting it out.

Learning how the inventor did it the first time is just an explanation to allow replication. More science than art.
I agree. I'm pretty sure all members of the human race, neanderthals, most mammals and cephalopods are creative. The more we learn as individuals and collectively about how to understand problems, what tools and techniques are available and how to use them; the more creative we become. This had been true for millions of years.
What's newer is the fetishisation of creativity. Not just in the arts but technology sectors where it's seen as a key factor in capitalist growth.
In some musical traditions - outside western classical - improvisation is considered a natural part of musical development for highly skilled musicians

Last edited:
I agree. I'm pretty sure all members of the human race, neanderthals, most mammals and cephalopods are creative. The more we learn as individuals and collectively about how to understand problems, what tools and techniques are available and how to use them; the more creative we become. This had been true for millions of years.
What's newer is the fetishisation of creativity. Not just in the arts but technology sectors where it's seen as a key factor in capitalist growth.
In some musical traditions - outside western classical - improvisation is considered a natural part of musical development for highly skilled musicians
You missed out birds and some insect species.

Couple of comments....we are also now having a side-discussion here about whether creativity is stifled by contemporary Jazz education, but again I am not certain that was what Pete was angling for.

Re-reading the OP and subsequent replies...I am not sure the criticism of contemporary jazz performance academia is that, necessarily.

IMHO it's not a question of 'can/should creativity be taught ?' but rather whether the current conventional academic methodology of teaching, for example, improv... ultimately does a disservice to jazz improv (and perhaps Jazz as a genre) ?
(something about that sentence seems grammatically incorrect, sorry).

Given what contemporary young straight ahead performers have been putting out for the past generation, as a rule, I would say that question is pretty compelling....

Last edited:
I'm wondering why we've not heard from a graduate of a modern jazz degree program in this thread.
There must be one, somewhere on the board... Someone who managed to pass the entrance exams and audition having studied music passionately and diligently through school - only to emerge from the course only being able to play at soulessly at 260bpm or above. Anyone?

I'm wondering why we've not heard from a graduate of a modern jazz degree program in this thread.
There must be one, somewhere on the board... Someone who managed to pass the entrance exams and audition having studied music passionately and diligently through school - only to emerge from the course only being able to play at soulessly at 260bpm or above. Anyone?
Maybe they are all too busy earning money playing at weddings.

Or busy serving fries in McDonalds.

Can creativity be taught? I've always thought that it's innate and teaching is just a process to facilitate letting it out.

Learning how the inventor did it the first time is just an explanation to allow replication. More science than art.
Creativity can be developed if someone has the talent and the dedication.
I used to be a classicaly trained piano player that was involved in rock bands. Yeah the typical blues scales trills, riffs, the elbows on the hammond organ and everything.
Later in my life I thought I'd explore jazz music. And I did it in a totally different instrument. The sax.
So I had to learn the sax -which is not easy if you have high standards as an adult- and learn jazz.

For me to get into a certain musicianship level it took me 12 years as a kid with plenty of time and a brain ready to absorb tons of information.
As an adult I'm slower but I'm getting there. Sure having a great ear and knowledge of music theory helped an awful lot, but
building my jazz improvisation was blunt and sterile.
It took me years and years of practicing simple things with the guidance of a very patient and capable teacher to help me grasp them.
Chord notes, motivic development, patterns, transcribing, articulation, swing, technique, alterations, modulations etc .etc.
All these are small building blocks that make your brain have a huge palette to choose what to play from.

It's pretty easy to understand what you have to learn but it's very difficult to spend the thousands of hours needed to become a good player.
I'm in the middle of that road, still gigging with the rock band and getting much satisfaction with playing something easier .... but I'm pretty sure I will never be the next John Coltrane .... I don't have any dreams about being famous or anything .... and this takes all the anxiety out of this lengthy process ... that makes my life so much easier ....

But to answer to Colin's question. Talent is something people are born with. BUT creativity can be hugely developed. Certain drills can totally open your mind.
Most of us here are adults. It needs good friends and patient teachers to do what we want to do but it can be done 100%.
I know a man that is 50 years old, he plays the clarinet every single day for the past 10 years, and he's one of the best musicians I know. But he had the patience....a LOT of patience....

For my parent's generation "popular music" included hit songs from the big band era like "In the Mood" and "Moonlight Serenade". When I was growing up in the 50's and early 60's, along with folk music and early "rock and roll", I remember listening to Take Five and Desafinato on the juke box at the local bowling alley. Music that is "popular" with the "masses" changes from one generation to the next. That's just the way it is. At my age it is hard to keep up, but it seems that the music that is currently "popular" includes Hip Hop, Rap, and Punk Rock. I find it hard to imagine those styles being taught to music students as part of a university music degree. :w00t:

There have been a few brief attempts to make jazz more popular with the general public. A few that come to mind are Wes Montgomery playing pop tunes in a jazz style, Chuck Mangione making the flugelhorn a better known instrument, and most recently Kenny Gorelick and his introduction to "smooth jazz". I would dread to think that "smooth jazz" replace straight ahead, and traditional jazz in university jazz programs even though it seems to have a somewhat broader appeal at the present time.

The bottom line is I am not sure that popularity with the general public is a true or accurate measure of the inherent value of any art form whether it is ballet, opera, classical music, or jazz. I am sure that keeping those art forms alive for posterity is a valuable and proper role of university fine arts programs.

Rap, .... I find it hard to imagine those styles being taught to music students as part of a university music degree

As I alluded to above, the thing with a university course is that it has to push up to a certain level. Sure there are softer and harder subjects; but within bounds a 2nd year music module should be around about as hard as a 2nd year physics module.... and as far as possible, research led. and comparable and transferable between colleges etc. I'm sure we can all see how jazz was ideal to enliven many music departments teaching and contained - with some research help - enough theory to push up the standards as required. That doesn't mean the methods are fit for all purposes - they never are in any discipline. Nonetheless, designing courses that fit and will be approved is non-trivial..

Last edited:

The bottom line is I am not sure that popularity with the general public is a true or accurate measure of the inherent value of any art form whether it is ballet, opera, classical music, or jazz. I am sure that keeping those art forms alive for posterity is a valuable and proper role of university fine arts programs.
It seems, then, that the full history of jazz ought to be explored, yet the bop and hard-bop styles of 1942-1958 seem to be predominant.

In theory at least, classical music students study and learn to perform music from before the Baroque clear through to the late 20th century. I do remember, though, that my piano lessons coincided with the 1970s re-re-re-re-discovery of Baroque music, and composers like Liszt, Chopin, etc. were only faintly acknowledged. I guess pedagogy in all fields is subject to fads.

but it seems that the music that is currently "popular" includes Hip Hop, Rap, and Punk Rock. I find it hard to imagine those styles being taught to music students as part of a university music degree.
I mentioned above my wife devised a jazz and pop university performance course. This wasa performance module as part of a broader music degree which would also include musicology and composition/studio units.

I did some teaching on it for a couple of years and no, we did not teach hip hop, rap, etc per se, ie how to do it, it was more a case of coaching the bands for their performance not teaching them how to play.

The way it worked in that regard was a performance (which was done at a club venue not a uni auditorium) was assessed based on various criteria:
  • Performance technique (ie your usual assessment of being a good player on your instrument)
  • Stage presence
  • Production
These were roughly equivalent to those criteria used when assessing classical, however the band could choose how each criteria was weighted.

So for some styles (I particularly remember a ska band) chose high weighting for image and stage presence because they did a lot of work on staging it with dance moves, costumes, jokes etc.

Jazz performers tended to go for Performance technique as the highest weight though. Understandably.

I was marking the ska band along with a po-faced classical violinist who said to me: "the saxophones a bit flat isn't it?" To which I replied "yes, great isn't it?"

Same bloke when we were assessing a bluegrass fiddle player. He winced and told me the violin was out of tune. I said "that's because he's using Appalachian intonation"

Last edited:
It seems, then, that the full history of jazz ought to be explored, yet the bop and hard-bop styles of 1942-1958 seem to be predominant.

In theory at least, classical music students study and learn to perform music from before the Baroque clear through to the late 20th century. I do remember, though, that my piano lessons coincided with the 1970s re-re-re-re-discovery of Baroque music, and composers like Liszt, Chopin, etc. were only faintly acknowledged. I guess pedagogy in all fields is subject to fads.
I would interpret that to mean swing as opposed to straight eights and a lot of "double time" in improvised solos. The great jazz players I enjoy listening to demonstrate their musical taste and creativity in the segments of their solos that are not in double time leaving the double time sections to show off their technical skills. Improvisation in jazz/rock and fusion based upon straight eights is quite similar. It is interesting that fast tempo eighths and double time 16ths are played even in both styles.

I would interpret that to mean swing as opposed to straight eights and a lot of "double time" in improvised solos. The great jazz players I enjoy listening to demonstrate their musical taste and creativity in the segments of their solos that are not in double time leaving the double time sections to show off their technical skills. Improvisation in jazz/rock and fusion based upon straight eights is quite similar. It is interesting that fast tempo eighths and double time 16ths are played even in both styles.
Well, I'm not really clear what you're saying here. If we're going to treat jazz as a musical style of the past, that deserves to be learned and performed the same way classical art music is, I'd start with ragtime, then New Orleans style, Chicago style, the Austin High gang, early big bands, swing bands (hot, sweet, white and black), early bop, bop, hard-bop, modal, free jazz of the 60s, the Coltrane phenomenon, funk, fusion, the 40s trad revival, Django and gypsy jazz, hip-hop influences, "smooth", and probably some other styles I've left out. You'd probably want to throw Western Swing and the sweet bands of the 30s-60s like Guy Lumbago and Sammy Kaye in there too.

There's a lot more about the varying performance styles than just straight eighths and double time choruses.

Where would you put Arthur Blythe, James Newton, David Murray, and World Saxophone Quartet? I think of them as "lyrical avant-garde" - not just the squeak and plunk crowd.

About a year or so ago I started listening again to Arthur Blythe and realized that HE's the one that keeps trying to come out in my alto playing. Somehow I had just forgotten over the years just how influential he was to me in the early 80s as I was trying to get my stuff together, and his two most accessible albums Lenox St. Breakdown and In the Tradition were all over jazz radio at KNTU and KUHF (North Texas and U of Houston) at that time. All those years I've been pointing at guys like Hank Crawford, or Sonny Criss, as influences on my alto playing, and yet when I heard AB again it was just so clear to me that this was the sound I've been playing toward for all those years.