support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Teacher Wanted Teacher in Greenock / Port Glasgow / Paisley areas?

jadoube

Locality
Fleet, Hampshire
Please can anyone recommend a teacher in the scenic but saxophonic wasteland 'doon the watter' to the west of Glasgow.

The local music shop tells me the one and only sax teacher in the area died a few years ago.

(Bands also appear thin on the ground. I blame the bagpipes)

I'm sure you will find a great music scene in Glasgow, for all kinds of music. Get a Gig Guide and check it out. A friend used to go to Glasgow on Saturday afternoons to listen to Big Bands playing in the pubs.

I can ask around if you like.

Jim.

Thanks Jim,

Glasgow is full of cultural opportunity, one of the reasons I've moved up here. Lovely place, great people.

Lots of sax teachers too. Thing is, its about 55 minutes drive from my new abode, Fine for musical nights out but best part of 2 hours round trip for a lesson is not ideal hence exploring if there might be a closer option.

Anything you can find from asking around would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I've just got this. Diane Mitchell School of Music, Brick Lane Studios, Paisley.

The teachers are great I'm told.

Jim.

From Andrew Whiteford. Talk to Joe Baldi at the Adlib Music Shop, Greenock. He'll know the local sax teachers.

www.adlibmusic.co.uk

More from Andrew. I think Frank and Brian, the two alto sax players in the #capitolbigband both teach, catch the band (with Joe B on drums) every tuesday night in Greenock , talk to the players before or at the break.

Jim.

From Andrew Whiteford. Talk to Joe Baldi at the Adlib Music Shop, Greenock. He'll know the local sax teachers.

www.adlibmusic.co.uk

More from Andrew. I think Frank and Brian, the two alto sax players in the #capitolbigband both teach, catch the band (with Joe B on drums) every tuesday night in Greenock , talk to the players before or at the break.

Jim.

Thanks again Jim. (That's the same shop that last year told me all the local sax teachers were deid ;). I'll go in again and ask the right person.)

John

Last edited:
ahah thats a post from yours-truly on Facebook ;-)
catch the capitol big band at Dockers, Tobago Street in Greenock. And ask for Joe if you're in AdLib.
Brian F is in Skelmorlie, Frank T is in Renfrew.
Also thinking - Bobby Wishart is down the coast, in Largs.
I know he used to teach, maybe still does, or could recommend someone.
there are probably lots of younger teachers I don't know ;-)

the gig-guide is online at http://www.gigguide.co.uk/listings.htm
jazz gigs are kinda thin-on-the-ground on the west-coast:
If you want fame, riches, wine & women, join a folk band.

Thank you Andy. I plan to add regular visits to Dockers as soon as I'm up in Gourock full time.

Found one in Lochwinnoch of all places :)

About 45 minutes drive away from me but the closest I could find.
I seem to have missed this thread last time around. Glad you've found Richard (assuming there aren't many teachers in Lochwinnoch).

I seem to have missed this thread last time around. Glad you've found Richard (assuming there aren't many teachers in Lochwinnoch).

There is another sax teacher in Lochwinnoch according to the music shop in Greenock, (I think they say he's primarily a Clarinetist.) Yes I was fortunate in finding Richard.

Last edited:
Please can anyone recommend a teacher in the scenic but saxophonic wasteland 'doon the watter' to the west of Glasgow.

The local music shop tells me the one and only sax teacher in the area died a few years ago.

(Bands also appear thin on the ground. I blame the bagpipes)

Hi I've just started a year ago, looking to tie up with folk who are beginners themselves playing the saxophone.
Many thanks Brian Nicholson

Is there anything on the Music Teachers listing web site? (music teachers.co.uk) There's also a resource on here somewhere...

Back
Top Bottom