support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Syos Design Contest for Mouthpiece (and printed reeds question)

Hi guys, the window is closing on submissions. 2 more hours and it's done!

Anyone submitted a design?

Voting begins later today, but it's only on Facebook and Instagram.

Last edited by a moderator:
It hasn't started yet. It's down to two finalists. It'll be this afternoon.

I'm in a meeting all day... Can't wait to see who the finalists are!

Here's a screenshot of the finalists for those who don't use instagram or facebook:
Screenshot_20190424-100931.png

Don’t like either of them. Saxyjt’s is much more unique and interesting!

Im glad you say that. Even if I had not submitted a design, I can't find these attractive.

I dont understand why a mouthpiece needs to be decorated other than the fact it creates a lots of online neophyte press.

Don't you like your horns with some engravings? I do. Of course it doesn't make it play any better. Same with mouthpieces. But having some kind of embellishment can't hurt. Especially if it's one of my design! :rolleyes:

I wish I had the skills to do engravings. Maybe someday I'll give it a try. Perhaps my brother could do that. He used to do things on flat metal pieces. I guess it was some kind of tin alloy. If I could have some of his designs on my horns, I'd love that.

Don't you like your horns with some engravings?

I truly wish sax makers would stop putting awful engravings on otherwise beautiful instruments. Cannonball are the only people I can think of whose engraving is at least different from the usual dross. Hmm, and possibly Keilwerth. But I'd rather have nothing at all.

Im very apriciative of the flowery engraving on my yamaha, but I cant help but wonder how much less it would cost without it.

I wouldn't gives far as saying they are awful, but I think it's time for some different flavors. I wouldn't put some wallpapers from the 50s in my bedroom. So why do we see the same motifs on currently produced horns? That escaped me. But then like colors, it's difficult to discuss tastes in motifs. As proven by the SYOS design contest...

Some of the vintage engravings are beautiful.

I thought I read somewhere that the Yamaha horns are still engraved by hand? As for the engraved mouthpiece, it's the same issue as the color, some like it and I see no downside. PR is not in or of itself a bad thing in this world of noise.

Kids, get off my lawn!