All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Suspicious Engineering

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Chances are that the £4K vintage Selmer has had a lot more attention from a woodwind tech than the straight out of the box student Yamaha.
That would be rather logical... Potential buyers in that price/model range will be more demanding than one looking for a starter horn!

If all they have is a lot of money, who cares?

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Having just picked up my lowly YTS 280 from @Stephen Howard I can tell you, when he play tests it, this el cheapo bit of engineering sounds pretty damn impressive! After a fine fettle from his hands, it even sounds fantastic when I'm blowing into the production end. It sounds like a new instrument. Student Sax? Blah! Thanks Steve :)

dooce

For what it's worth, I recently upgraded my el cheapo John Packer basic student alto (cost me £100) and in the process went into a local music store and tried the Yam 280, Trevor James (Evo? - more expensive than the Yam anyway) and a s/h Yano 901. Took my mouthpiece and reed straight off the JP, and every one of those babies blew clean from top to bottom; no issues getting subtones or upper register. OK, I didn't have a £4k super-horn to compare them with but they all performed better than the inexpensive models in the video.

If I had been buying there and then, I would have walked out with the Yamaha because it was the most responsive and had the better ergonomics and bottom end.

Stephen Howard

Having just picked up my lowly YTS 280 from @Stephen Howard I can tell you, when he play tests it, this el cheapo bit of engineering sounds pretty damn impressive! After a fine fettle from his hands, it even sounds fantastic when I'm blowing into the production end. It sounds like a new instrument. Student Sax? Blah! Thanks Steve :)
I've said it before and I'll say it again - the budget Yamahas punch well above their weight.
And those low notes? Don't they just ooze from the horn?

As for the 'Ralfy business'...I get banana, but I'm still looking for papaya. It might take a while...

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
I've said it before and I'll say it again - the budget Yamahas punch well above their weight.
And those low notes? Don't they just ooze from the horn?

As for the 'Ralfy business'...I get banana, but I'm still looking for papaya. It might take a while...
I had to google Papaya to remind me what one looked like! I think I'd certainly struggle to detect the taste of one.

Bob M.

I'll let Jay Metcalf say it for me in this video starting at 2:50 mark.
View: https://youtu.be/aUe7pASxXao

imo, you cannot grade anything based on price. however, as was mentioned above, you often get what you pay for and that is not 'just' engineering, but just practicality. The truth is places make instruments and do business to make money. and no one wants too much of a headache doing anything, and always wants things done as easy as possible and often as quick as possible, so they can churn them out and thus...ya...make more money. I have to admit I am sort of surprised to find people talking about saxophones here though as if so many of these things are not already known. drawn tone holes, he quality of he leather used in the padding, the actual composition of the brass, the materials used even down to the springs, and rods as well as keys/etc. and of course if you cannot do something one way or another because another company owns the rights, and thus you have to figure out a different way of reinventing the wheel or get sued (Or not if you are in a country that won;t allow you to be.) if you make things too close to what has already been proven as a winner. Then if you sell your instruments for a lower price you do not make as much money, so that means you cannot pay super high quality labor necessarily, for exacting standards and quality control, or maybe you cannot afford the super high precision way of doing things in the first place. a lot goes into it surely. talent often goes where the money is. So, if that is accepted, you then have to realize that were a lower end factory for instance of top tier craftsmen to make for instance a student model, they would also have to pay more for the materials that are superior, and other things and thus charge the high end prices also.Because of this, us the people actually convince the industry to make inferior products...why? because we tell them to do so, because we do not want to be forced to buy the high end ones, so demand they have a production that is affordable, and so by simple suppl and demand it is done. So 'can' they make a student model as good as a pro? ya of course, but it would then be a Pro model and it'd be the same situation.
I do not know what she was playing before, but I have had a student model myself and I have never really had a issue hitting altimo G, or low notes. but the action is without a doubt much better on for instance a Sel VI. So it is what it is...but ultimately it comes down imo to the player anyways.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
I have to admit I am sort of surprised to find people talking about saxophones here though as if so many of these things are not already known.
Good points (though a polite request for a bit of paragraph structuring would help with my tired old eyes :))

I can only speak for myself, but a couple of Years ago, I knew absolutely nothing about the Saxophone and today, I know just about something, so I imagine that the level of knowledge spread over the forum is hugely varied. It's the nature of the beast that similar questions come up time and again as new members (and old) come across a particular topic. Including those about the quality of instruments, which is natural if people are looking to spend a bit of cash. :cool:

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom