support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Subbing (Depping) for a Swing band

My sax teacher first persuaded me, after 9 months of lessons to join her community band.
Sadly even if I had the native talent, I just don't have the time to dedicate. Unlike probably everyone else on here, sax playing is probably hobby number 3 or 4 for me. And as I've pointed out before, my other hobbies don't go very well with it. I'd be turning up to practice deaf from scuba diving, or with a broken wrist from snowboarding :)

Swing is the thing.
For some reason, I just can't get swing. I understand it's dots and dashes like Morse code, but I usually put the dots where the dashes go and the dashes where the dots go :)

Last edited by a moderator:
But even my phone doesn't like that word and tries to change it to deputies, which sounds very John Wayne to my English ears.

It's not that far between the sax and the wild west.

Attachments

• iu.jpeg
    iu.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 25
@MandyH Congratulations, I am looking forward to the time when I can keep up and actually play something with the community swing band that I am apprenticed to.

@Tiberius Your really should try playing with other people, I am in a community band back home in NS and enjoy it to the extent that while I am in the UK for 3 months I have hooked up with the Portishead Concert Band. It is a community band and takes all comers, despite being here for a short time and being the least experienced player they have made me very welcome and been very encouraging. I am thoroughly enjoying it and learning a lot.

I've always understood 'dep' = deputise

I see you've played with guitarists before.
We've just started playing "I've Been Loving You Too Long" and it is in an absolute dog of a key, after the break, for us saxophonists. One of whom stopped rehearsals last week and asked "who's the lucky ones who have this in an easy key?", the keys and guitarists all sheepishly raised their hands.:D:D

Try telling a guitarist that the next one's in Eb. And, no, you haven't got time to tune the strings down.

I'm prepared to bet that 99% of the guitarists I've ever known have never intentionally played in Eb of any variety.

@Nick Wyver I tell them often. To play in Eb on guitar is very simple. Base it on the A shape barred at 6th fret.

With only two chord shape groups, based on E and A you can play most chords.

I hate playing guitar.

Back
Top Bottom