support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Stocking up on reeds, Hong Kong style!

breathless

Locality
Dunmow, Essex
Hi all, I have a friend that's going to Hong Kong in a few weeks and wondered if it would be worthwhile asking him to source some reeds for me?

He's originally from Hong Kong so will know the lingo (so to speak)!

I'm a beginner and am using Rico Royal 2s, but wondered if they're cheaper out there it might be worth trying another brand for comparison? but wouldn't know what would be a equal alternative brand?

Rgds Lee.

No.
Unless Rico Royal are cheaper there.

Hopefully Kingsl. will give a better reply.

mebbe he comes back with a couple of boxes of flying goose :verysad

I doubt that Vandorens, Ricos, etc., are much cheaper in HK. As Kev says, Flying Goose fits the bill in that regard. Ri Yin is another. Both are easy to get on e-bay. I haven't tried them.

I think the consensus of opinion would be don't bother stick to what you know and can get here Grey Goose are not good and there are plenty of other brands that would fall into the same category try a Hahn or Legere as you were going to nothing ventured as it were .....John

Makes sense John.
Thought I'd ask, you don't know until you ask, for all I knew it may just have been the case Ricos ect- were half price in Asia!
Obviously not!

I think the synthetics are worth a try!

I find the whole reed business so frustrating, only today I practiced and thought to myself threwout "I'm having a good day today" practice went very well, nice tone threwout and didn't find anything much trouble, however when I came to disassemble I found I'd inadvertently used a Marco jazz reed (which are equal to a 2.75 on a Rico) !

There is was thinking I'd stick with the Royal 2s for now to try and gain some consistency!

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!
This is sending me round the twist!

Lee.

I found I'd inadvertently used a Marco jazz reed (which are equal to a 2.75 on a Rico) !

There is was thinking I'd stick with the Royal 2s for now to try and gain some consistency!

Lee.

Try Rico 2.5 (2 1/2?) or move to marca jazz 2.5. Rico should be cheaper.

Oh - so this thread is nothing about stockings then?

Sigh!!! Never mind.

:)

Makes sense John.
Thought I'd ask, you don't know until you ask, for all I knew it may just have been the case Ricos ect- were half price in Asia!
Obviously not!

I think the synthetics are worth a try!

I find the whole reed business so frustrating, only today I practiced and thought to myself threwout "I'm having a good day today" practice went very well, nice tone threwout and didn't find anything much trouble, however when I came to disassemble I found I'd inadvertently used a Marco jazz reed (which are equal to a 2.75 on a Rico) !

Lee.

I wouldn't be too upset by that it seem you could have stumbled on one you can work with so stick with it and hope it keeps going for a while be fore it goes off the reed problem diminishes as time goes on as mike states in another thread that's running at the moment you will wonder what all the fuss was about does take a little time so be patient ......John