support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Sticking hole cover on a B-W tenor...

SallySax

I have recently purchased a B-W bronze tenor (and it is beautiful xxx), but after a couple of days a problem has arisen with one of the tone holes.

Please forgive my ignorance of the correct name for said hole/cover :blush:. It is a right-hand cover immediately above the low 'F' finger pearl, and appears to be 'partnered' with the low 'D' finger pearl. Straight out of the case, I can whizz up an 'F' major scale, but coming down again, the 'G' sounds 'F#' because the cover has not lifted.

Can any of you techie sax players give me an idea of where to look, as it seems to my tiny brain that there is either a dodgy or missing spring. I don't want to do open heart surgery, but it would be good if I could sort it without having to trek back down South...

Thanks! :)

Most likely the spring has just come off the little nipple that it is tucked behind to give it the tension. Some springs are tricky to get to, but this one should be easy, either with your finger or a bit of stick or something like a crochet hook.

spring.jpg

It turned out to be more complicated than just a sticking pad. I took it back, and upon further inspection, the bell assembly was out of line, pulling rods with it.

To cut a long story short, I now have a B-W TS-Y on 10 days trial. It's not as pretty, and I'm not convinced we are going to be friends..

I am delighted to report that the beautiful B-W bronze tenor is back in my hot little mitts :)

I may be in love with Rupert Noble, who worked his magic and returned her to full playing order. She looks and sounds fab! My next task is to smuggle her on as hand-luggage when we return to Crete on Thursday.

One very happy bunny :happydance::happydance: :happydance:

I am delighted to report that the beautiful B-W bronze tenor is back in my hot little mitts :)

I may be in love with Rupert Noble, who worked his magic and returned her to full playing order. She looks and sounds fab! My next task is to smuggle her on as hand-luggage when we return to Crete on Thursday.

One very happy bunny :happydance::happydance: :happydance:

Great to hear.

No smuggling - the airlines are, rightly, very strict.

My daughter took her violin as hand luggage.
Given how much some people take as hand luggage, you'd hope the airline might be open to persuasion.

Mind you, the strings of the violin had to go in the hold - apparently they are dangerous, even when strung on the violin.

Given how much some people take as hand luggage, you'd hope the airline might be open to persuasion.

Mind you, the strings of the violin had to go in the hold - apparently they are dangerous, even when strung on the violin.

Wow - that's not good - risks the sound post falling over which is only held in place by the pressure from the strings through the bridge onto the belly - it would mean a trip to the luthier to fix...

EDIT Oops - didn't spot KevG's reply

Oh what wonderful paranoid world we live in...John:w00t:

Back
Top Bottom