PPT mouthpieces

Starting to play the saxophone again after 10Y

marc1024

Locality
Belgium
Hi,

I am Marc and I live in Belgium.
Some 10 years ago I stopped playing the saxophone due to a big
reorganisation at work that took a lot of energy to digest.
I went from a pure technical job (telecom lab work, testing out new equipment)
to a sales job (selling telephone exchanges to big companies, hospitals and Government)

Now the sax microbe bit me again and I decided to start playing again,
So I am out to do some saxophone shopping.

While googling around for sax things, I came across this place and it seemed
the ideal place to get some tips to get started again (nice & friendly people, not the
RTFM (read the f* manual) types as you see on some linux forums)

I used to play first the tenor sax in a concert band, and afterwards, when some
members quit the band, and we were nearly without any bass type of instruments
I got a chance to play the baritone sax.

I like the baritone sax a lot, so I decided to go for baritone again.

So any bari buying tips are very welcome.
Before I have been playing on a Yani and it was a nice instrument,
so I tend to go for a Yani again, a B901 or B991 (what is the difference between those actually ?)
unless you guys advise me otherwise.

I'll also seek some mpc advice, I used to play a Selmer SA80 E and found it a bit restrictive
to make big dynamic volume changes, I could very well play silently, but when high volumes
were needed I felt it was very difficult (probably me also).
Anyhow, in Belgium everyone seems to be fixed into the very closed/very hard reed system,
and theachers advice anyone to only use Selmer C*, stay away from anything else
and certainly don't play a more open mpc.
they already were not very amused to hear I did not play the C* mpc as I did on tenor
(C* with 4.5 vandoren classic reeds) but went to a Selmer E with Vandoren 3 reeds instead
This already gave me more flexibility in tone bending, but not the big volume changes,
I still had a problem with loud passages.
So in the forum, I'll be asking around what changes to expect when playing more open mpcs.
I would like a mpc that will give me a bit more punch than the more classic Selmer S80,
while still be able to play silently also.
The PPC mpcs seem to be a nice choice, so any reviews on how they behave on bari would be nice.

So after having spilled all my guts, I realise It would be better to pose all these questions in the
regular forum topics, but I am so eager to restart again that I could not help myself to already
put them here.

Once I am admitted as a forum member, I'll repost them in the proper forum topics.
and I'll keep you posted about my new sax adventures.

Best rgds,

Marc

Hi, big welcome from me.

Lots of bari players here, some on the big tips, others more closed...

Have fun!

Welcome Marc, hope you enjoy your bari second time around:)

Jx

Hello Marc and welcome to the cafe. I play a Selmer baritone and use the C** mouthpiece that came with it. Rico Royal 2.5 reeds work well for me. If you are buying a new Yani the chances are that the supplied mouthpiece will be just fine. Have fun.

Jim.

Welcome to the caff©, Marc.

Whereabouts in Belgium. Did a five week contract and liked it.

ENJOY!​™

Welcome, Marc.

Belgium is probably the most auspicious place for a sax player to come from. I'm sure the members here will answer all your questions with wit and expertise.

Dave

Pleased to have you here, Marc. If you are after a relatively cheap and good mouthpiece while you work out what you really want, the Yamaha 5C good be a good option.

So after having spilled all my guts, I realise It would be better to pose all these questions in the
regular forum topics, but I am so eager to restart again that I could not help myself to already
put them here.

Once I am admitted as a forum member, I'll repost them in the proper forum topics.
and I'll keep you posted about my new sax adventures.

Best rgds,

Marc

I guess you're in.

Please don't repost, duplicates just split the disussions and annoy people.

Hi Marc!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Sax from the Skabertawe Lights down by yer in South Wales, mind! I've never played the Baritone sax, but cover the musical range with my herd of tenor trombones, which are lighter at 1.5kg, and take up less space.

Mouthpiece wise it may be good to get a Rico Metalite mouthpiece (cost about 20 Euros), or PPT, though the new Vandoren V16HR seems to be getting some positive reviews.

Are there any good Belgian Jazz Groups around? I love North European Jazz, but only know of Belgian beer, chocolate, and footballers like Thomas Vermaelen etc.

Kind regards
Tom :thumb:

Hi Marc,

Welcome. Toots can play decent jazz guitar too. As did the lovely Django who was also Belgian.
Oh and Philip Catherine, who is part English and Belgian.
That's as much as I know!!!

Andy

Back
Top Bottom