support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories SST Sound EXpand r Mk II

Jazzaferri

Locality
Victoria BC Canada
I just got an email from SST in Germany marketing a Mk2 version of their sound . Appears to be targeted to Mk6 and BA’s

Now for only. 95 Euros plus shipping your not quite right Selmer can be a few grams heavier and your pocketbook a few grams lighter. Physics at its absolute best.

Do tell more

A web search took me to a circuit board

It’s a little piece of metal you attach to your Sax and it’s supposed to make it vibrate better and balance out the tone or some such.

I recently saw a ‘weighted’ piece of metal to replace the usual screw that tightens the neck on to the body, which was supposed to work wonders... I’ll believe it if it stands up to a double-blind test

I recently saw a ‘weighted’ piece of metal to replace the usual screw that tightens the neck on to the body, which was supposed to work wonders... I’ll believe it if it stands up to a double-blind test
That's the Klangenballs or some such cobblers

I thought the saxophone bell was the sound expander, at least for the lower notes

My advice when someone uses "resonance" and "mode" in the same sentence describing something they want to sell you is put your hand on your wallet and slowly back out of the room (turn off your computer). >:)

If such a simple thing “improved” the sound then Yanagisawa, Yamaha etc would be doing it. The fact that they don’t is of itself enough to say “snake oil”

If such a simple thing “improved” the sound then Yanagisawa, Yamaha etc would be doing it. The fact that they don’t is of itself enough to say “snake oil”
In general, I really don't like this kind of arguments, because there could be many reasons for a company to do or not do something. Sometimes, marketing takes over and just indulges a low-production-cost trendy accessory because in the end, if the public wants it, then there is only very little reasons to not try to ride that wave. That is how I interpret why Yanagisawa started to produce high mass screws, advertising - as almost everyone else about these items - that they enhance the sound... Feel free to have a different interpretation, of course.

It was only a matter of time before Eastman saxes jumped on the band wagon. :)

1584460786484.jpeg