support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Springtime -- adding a sax track

Moz

Locality
North of Liskeard, Cornwall,UK
Following a composition I knocked up called a A Cold Day in Winter and posted to Soundcloud a few weeks ago, I seem to be following a trend. My friend Tom Hunter had run up a track to accompany a Power Point presentation of photographs with the subject Springtime and he asked if I could add some sax.

This is the result: http://soundcloud.com/martin-baxter/springtime

I don't think it's too bad for a first (and probably only) attempt. I listened to the original guitar track several times just to get a feel for what happens and then, in one take, added the sax track.

My sight-reading of music is rubbish, my ability to play quickly is probably worse than rubbish but I thank my lucky stars that I can play by ear.

Good job. I thought you fitted in well with the mood and direction of the piece. Hard to know where to put yourself when there is that much reverb. The background guitar (baritone guitar?) is way back in the reverb but the lead guitar is much further forward. There were times where you were background also, but then times where you were the melodic solo. I think it could be mixed a bit better to bring this out. Not sure about the title as having much representation of spring, sounds like winter to me, but hey, what's in a name?

Good work.

Good job. I thought you fitted in well with the mood and direction of the piece. Hard to know where to put yourself when there is that much reverb. The background guitar (baritone guitar?) is way back in the reverb but the lead guitar is much further forward. There were times where you were background also, but then times where you were the melodic solo. I think it could be mixed a bit better to bring this out. Not sure about the title as having much representation of spring, sounds like winter to me, but hey, what's in a name?

Good work.

Not much choice with the reverb, the mixing or the title I'm afraid, it came to me like that. In fairness the music is a soundtrack to a series of photographs with Springtime as the subject so looks more springlike than it sounds. It was just an experiment to see if our two different genres of choice (me classical, him blues) could find some common ground that we could work on. Now it's my turn to compose something and let the other guy improvise his guitars to. It's fun and piques the interest and in the end that's what it's all about.