support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Spit: How much is too much

Lorraine

Locality
Brighton, England
Sorry to be gross but does everyone experience this.

My embrouchure appears to be developing well and I can now play for quite a long time. I have even developed a blister on my left thumb from using the octave key so much for long periods (woo-hoo creds!)

But now when I clean the crook after playing it is really warm and there is an awful lot of spit, drool, dribble, call it what you will, in there.

I get very thirsty while playing and drink a lot squash to counter this. But it affects the sound too because I can hear the spit rattling when I play. Should I just stop and clean it out every so often while playing - or not worry about it?
Thanks
Lorraine

Spit in the crook doesn't affect anything. Suck out the stuff between the reed and the mouthpiece. It's only that bit that causes any noise.

I'm a pretty 'wet' player at times and feel the need to drink quite a lot during practise.
But I don't actually get a spitty sound in the mouthpiece. That ONLY happens if I drink anything other than water while I play.

Your 'squash' sounds sweet and sticky - maybe try diluted cordial or just water instead?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your 'squash' sounds sweet and sticky - maybe try diluted cordial or just water instead?

Squash is cordial my southern hemisphere compadre.

And no I have always been as they say a "wet" player myself. And as long as you avoid too much moisture lingering afterwards no harm will be done really. Like Nick said, suck any excess off the piece as you go, you'll know you need to when it sounds crackly.

Are you using a pull through or pad saver at the moment? If you do get a lot of moisture they're a decent investment to save your pads some grief.

Squash is cordial my southern hemisphere compadre.

Ah, you northerners! ;)
Squash to my antipodean knowledge is usually a can of Lift or 7UP. Much more sugary than weak cordial.
Either way I'd avoid sugary drinks and milky teas and coffees whilst playing.

spit - that is. Sorry to be gross but does everyone experience this.

My embrouchure appears to be developing well and I can now play for quite a long time. I have even developed a blister on my left thumb from using the octave key so much for long periods (woo-hoo creds!)

But now when I clean the crook after playing it is really warm and there is an awful lot of spit, drool, dribble, call it what you will, in there.

I get very thirsty while playing and drink a lot squash to counter this. But it affects the sound too because I can hear the spit rattling when I play. Should I just stop and clean it out every so often while playing - or not worry about it?
Thanks
Lorraine

The sound of your saxophone is probably louder than any spitty sound you can hear, but if you get rid of that ice cream from your avatar your sound could improve even more..

I get the 'spit-rattling' sound often and to counter this, rather than clean it out then and there, I put more mouthpiece into my mouth and play stronger notes - it doesn't seem to 'rattle with spit' then. :) x

When you play Baritone, you have the pleasure of emptying your spit valve....if you are careful, you can empty it on your neighbour's foot!!
I used a big hanky to catch mine. A surprisingly large amount seems to come out from a good playing session.

As said elsewhere, I suck out the top bit from my alto. Sometimes, I turn my alto upside down on the neck-strap to let it drain (onto the floor!) and always dry it out when finished, whether it lives in its case or on a stand.

When you play Baritone, you have the pleasure of emptying your spit valve....if you are careful, you can empty it on your neighbour's foot!!
I used a big hanky to catch mine. A surprisingly large amount seems to come out from a good playing session.
One thing I've learned about playing baritone: avoid suede shoes.

Please can you come and practice in my garden - we are threatened with a hosepipe ban but it would be preferable, by the sound of it, if you were to switch to a bari.

Dave

If it makes you feel any batter, it's unlikely to be actual spit. It's condensation from yuor breath.

Unless you really are spitting or drooling into the mouthpiece.

If it makes you feel any batter, it's unlikely to be actual spit. It's condensation from yuor breath.

Still doesn't look good on your shoes.

I still drool every time I have a saxophone in my hands. After only 32 years and a dozen saxes. Will it eventually stop?

Back
Top Bottom