• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Playing the saxophone Sore Lower Lip Fix

As far as I can tell, none of the players who indicate that they play with a "lip out" play in a classical style which is the appropriate style to play in a concert band, wind ensemble, or orchestra. There is a difference, not only in the concept of sound, but in the embouchure required to produce that sound.

One of the lip "coverings" I used before finding the Ezo patches was a square patch cut from a balloon. I would generally fold it over to double the thickness. If one absolutely has to play when nursing a sore inner lower lip, one of the numbing medications for teething infants can be useful as well.
 
Thanks all. I shall try and find some of this dental stuff for future use, while I'm still developing my chops or for long playing sessions. As it was, between counting loadsa bars rest while the flutes twiddled, and then all the breaks while the trumpets had to go over their parts again 😉, my mouth survived.
 
Jay, get the lip off your teeth. Build up the muscles and lower your jaw as bm said. If you get strong enough lip out makes a big difference/improvement to sound as ctb suggested. But it takes time.
I suspect lots sax apprentices get a sore lip at times. I know I did, I kept playing and the pain reminded me to get my teeth off my lip and I have not had a problem since.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,262
Messages
576,074
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom