support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Jazz Sonny Rollins' rescued footage at Ronnie Scott's 1974

kernewegor

Bon vivant, raconteur and twit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZN2R-3WWj4

...which also has some amazing Rufus Harley...

I particularly like this bit from Harley's wikipedia entry...

Harley became inspired to learn the bagpipe after seeing the Black Watch perform in John F. Kennedy's funeral procession in November 1963. Then a maintenance worker for the Philadelphia's housing authority, Harley began searching the city for a set of bagpipes. Failing to find one, he traveled to New York City where he found a set in a pawn shop. He purchased the instrument for US$120, quickly adapting it to the idioms of jazz, blues, and funk. On several occasions, when a neighbor called the police to complain about Harley's practicing in his apartment, he would quickly put away his bagpipes and feign ignorance, asking the officers, "Do I look like I'm Irish or Scottish to you?"[2] He eventually acquired a better set of bagpipes, which cost him a little over US$1,000.[3]

Last edited:
Was at the Rollins-Harley in Montreux, the same year. That was the first time I had the opportunity to see Sonny and the news he was lined up with a bagpipe player was an almost "no-go" for me but I finally made the trip to Montreux. Great recollection of what turned up to be a fantastic concert. One of my close friends was the recording engineer in charge for the Swiss TV which was taping the concert; after the rehearsal, they were desperate to catch a decent sound of the wildly oscillating Sonny' tenor . No wireless mic at this time so they decided to install a 4-mic set up on a vertical semi-circular positioning so at any given time at least one mic was able to pick the sound of the tenor.

Back
Top Bottom