PPT mouthpieces

Someone please help me - how to format Windows

Pete Thomas

Cafe Moderator
Commercial Supporter
Locality
Sunny Southampton
As it has been about 15 years since I used a Windows PC computer, I need some help please!

My elderly neighbour wants to donate her old obsolete PC to Jamies computers (she now has an iPad instead)

So I am helping her as she isn't very mobile, but she wants to format it first as she is concerned about someone getting her stuff (ie nicking all the money from her bank account)

I am vaguely aware that the normal way would be to insert the original Windows CD and format the drive from that, but she has no CD.

So in this case how do we format the drive?

Last edited:
Do you have a CD/DVD writer?

This has everything you'll need.

You should be aware, though, that merely formatting the drive isn't enough to fully erase the data.
Fortunately, the UBCD contains a number of utilities that can securely wipe a drive.

With a bit of extra faff you can load it onto a USB drive and boot from there...assuming the computer supports it.

This article appears to give some options...

It's easier to do it on a phone, init?

Windows 7 up is totally different to win 2000 and earlier

This may work on later versions
Click Start, “Control Panel” and then “System and Maintenance.” Click “Create a system repair disc” on the left. Insert a writable CD into your CD/DVD drive and click “Create disc.” Reboot your computer, and tap the appropriate key to bring up your boot menu.

Last edited:
Also found info on this in wikihow.

This option is one that I have used myself, however, it took 2 attemps so I recommend using the heavyest hammer available.

Many thanks to all those with suggestions

After a chat with David Roach Digital Security Services, I have decided on the following strategy

• Remove drive from computer
  • Hit with sledge hammer.
Physical destruction of the hard drive is indeed the best option, and at work I get a company to come in with a massive shredder thing. At home I clamp the drive in a vice and run an angle grinder through it.

Physical destruction of the hard drive is indeed the best option, and at work I get a company to come in with a massive shredder thing. At home I clamp the drive in a vice and run an angle grinder through it.

A bit like the assassination of Rasputin: poisoned, shot and finally drowned.

If you are really paranoid, instead of a hammer, throw it into a working high temp furnace, or firebox of an old steam engine