Taming The Saxophone

Sneak Preview of new PPT

Phil

I dont know too much about Morgan's opinion in terms of making them, but I can tell you from experience that white mouthpieces are a bit of a pain to work on.
Even with a lot of light and magnification it is more of a challenge than black to really see what you are doing.

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
Is it the same black stuff as the 9* tenor prototype that I've got?
I can't remember - is your prototype resin or HR? (HR are the slim ones)

HR have always been black, the rain ones were originally blue, but there may have been some black prototypes.

I dont know too much about Morgan's opinion in terms of making them, but I can tell you from experience that white mouthpieces are a bit of a pain to work on.
The white ones are made by Edward Pillinger. The material is what we call "Onyxite" It is a resin composite that has a white stone powder mixed in. I'm not sure why "onyxite" as I think actual onyx is more often dark coloured. Ah well.

The biggest problem with the white composite is that cosmetically it is very unforgiving of the teeniest particle of something else. e.g. if a bit of the darker pigment we also use gets in there it shows up very obviously, whereas if a teeny bit of black was to get into a dark blue or purple composite, it would not be a problem.

Phil

The nice thing about black and doing work is that you get a surface that catches the light better than white on white. You can of course work white just fine but doing things like trimming tip rails takes a lot of extra attention since they hid from you:)

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
The white ones are made by Edward Pillinger. The material is what we call "Onyxite" It is a resin composite that has a white stone powder mixed in. I'm not sure why "onyxite" as I think actual onyx is more often dark coloured. Ah well.
I was sure onyx could be white, usually streaky, as well so went to have a look and in the middle was this image.
How could I not post it.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
OK, then that was probably the very first (I expect it has PPT logo and also a Pillinger logo?)

This model is similar then, but different in that the composite has some other material to give it a heavier feel. I can't imagine it would sound significantly different
Yes, it has both logos.
Currently my favourite tenor mouthpiece.
Seeing as the sound is perfect, why would I try to make it sound different?
Quite.

sdt99

Interesting

Lining up a see through Légère on Onyxite is difficultissimo, but is there the same problem with cane reeds?
Yes - I love my PPT bari mouthpiece, but lining up reeds, especially in low light is a PITA.

Ivan

Undecided
Yes - I love my PPT bari mouthpiece, but lining up reeds, especially in low light is a PITA.
I've taken to doing it purely by feel... the top of the Légère is robust enough to allow the fingers to nudge it back from the edge of the mouthpiece

Top Bottom