support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones smelly sax

Drphil

This might be a really stupid question -I've just bought a second hand sonora tenor sax on ebay and the thing honks!
it looks sound, the keys are fine and the pads look ok but it certainly stinks
how do I wash it or where would I get it serviced around SE Cornwall?
I didn't pay that much so I am tempted to march into the local Wants in Plymouth who may well give me what I paid for it:confused:

Get a bottle of lemon oil in a guitarshop. A few drops on a polishing cloth.

Use a rod with a cloth , bass clarinet swab .... dampen in vinegar for the tube. Protect/cover the pads with clining film.

Stephen Howard has great hint about cleaning a neck:
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/HandyHints/Crook_cleaning.htm

Buy a new case.

Swab and dry your sax after you played.
1. Pull a swab through a couple of times.
2. Insert a Pad Sawer
3. Dry all pads with pad paper (no powder) or pad swab, especially the closed keys.
4. Pull out the Pad Sawer.

Thomas

thanks Thomas,
I feel a lot more positive now -with a bit of TLC i feel like I might now have a viable horn!

Good advice from Thomas. Biggest improvement will be to get a new case. Old sax cases stink. I know, I've got one in my office at the moment. You can get a brand spanking new case from Woodwind and Brass at the moment for a measly nineteen quid.

http://www.woodwindandbrass.co.uk/acatalog/winter_musical_sale.html

Follow the link and scroll down. Third item from the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find that it's the end of the crook where it meets the mp that is most rancid! The mp is easy to wash, being metal. I s'pose I should remove the mp every time I finish playing.

thanks
the mouth piece on the thing at the moment is enough to stop anyone ever starting or playing again!
I'm of to look for a beginners mouth piece tomorrow:)

This might be a really stupid question -I've just bought a second hand sonora tenor sax on ebay and the thing honks!
it looks sound, the keys are fine and the pads look ok but it certainly stinks
how do I wash it or where would I get it serviced around SE Cornwall?
I didn't pay that much so I am tempted to march into the local Wants in Plymouth who may well give me what I paid for it:confused:

My sax cases as with my other musical instruments all contain a small net bag
containing norfolk lavender :welldone
which sometimes help me to play sweet music :)))

My sax cases as with my other musical instruments all contain a small net bag
containing norfolk lavender :welldone
which sometimes help me to play sweet music :)))

Haha, very good.

Instead of anything so refined and elegant, my case insert is a knotted odd sock (we've all found them in the washing machine), which is filled with activated carbon. It absorbs sulphur and other nasties in the air which would otherwise tarnish my silver plated saxophone.
It will also stop your new case from getting smelly.

thanks everyone -I 've some very useful tips for the future
fraid my stomach wasn't strong enough so I sold the sax (at a slight profit ) with the aid of one of those horrible magic trees in the case before going into the second hand shop!
Luckily I've picked a totally unused Odyssey Alto (still had transit corks in place) for my daughter to start on for only 140 quid, whilst not the best sax in the world they seem quite a reasonable quality (they sell them in Trago Mills for 290 - they are shortly if not already due to have a rico reed stand for those passing and in need!)
Still on the look out for a tenor for me but will probably end up renting from JP in taunton
cheers
Phil

smelly sax case

i remember my first sax in the days before cheap eastern makes come on the market ! for me it was a well used buescher truetone ! it had more spots than a thousand dalmations and the case smelt of death ! anyway its amazing what you can do with a few cleaning products ! the plastic yamaha mouth pieces are very good for starting out
good luck mate and stay with it
bernie

Thanks Bernie,
finally sorted out myself a horn -an ex display 'rebranded' selmer prelude tenor for only 138 pounds on ebay with a nice new sweet smelling case!
Luckily its much more comfortable to hold than the old one I flogged.
I've only just received it but notice despite a nice soft reed its more difficult to get a decent sound out of it compared to the alto's I'd tried -is that generally true of all tenors vs altos?
Phil

Back
Top Bottom