PPT mouthpieces

Slow Blues on the Sax

Sweet Dreamer

Locality
Heaven
As many of you may already know I bought a saxophone last year and I've been self-learning over the past few months. I'm getting to the point where I can play it a little bit and I'd like to practice improvising with some slow blues. Something along the lines of what B. B. King plays on guitar. Just easy-going laid-back blues.

I'm not really familiar with saxophone players so maybe you guys could point out some names or, mp3 files, or videos on youtube that I could watch or listen to to get an idea of how people play the slow blues on the sax.

Thanks. :mrcool

Have a good look at some of Ben Websters stuff. Some great slow stuff (and fast and technical) there!

Look for Eddie Cleanhead Vinson, Racetrack Blues, he's a brilliant blues player

Cheers & Ciao
Jimu

+1 for Ben Webster

Chris

If yOu're wanting the more R&B type of blues theres a great book called "Blues Saxophone: An In-Depth Look At The Styles Of The Masters" by the late Dennis Taylor which is excellent and pretty much maps out a who's who of blues sax.....

If yOu're wanting the more R&B type of blues theres a great book called "Blues Saxophone: An In-Depth Look At The Styles Of The Masters" by the late Dennis Taylor which is excellent and pretty much maps out a who's who of blues sax.....

Thanks everyone, I'll look into these names.

Jules, that book really looks great. The only problem is that the CD backing tracks are in Bb for tenor sax. I'm not sure if it would do me much good for Alto. It might be good to read and listen to anyway though just for ideas.

+1 for Taylor. Has a CD and the notes as well....

Some alto songs you can listen to...

Oliver Sain:
"On The Hill"
"Night Time"
"Just A Lonely Man"
"Harlem Nocturne"

Eddie Shaw:
"Sittin' On The Top"
"My Baby Is So Ugly"

All songs on Spotify.

Also ...

Tab Smith:
T.G. Blues

Preston Love:
Omaha Blues

If you want to play guitar blues you perhaps will have to play in with 6 or 7 sharps. I think you get used to it.

Dennis Taylors book is just covering tenorplayers.

Thomas

This is well worth a click (I hope it's OK to post clips here)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Dreamer, here is a vid of Lester Young and Ben Webster masterfully soloing with Billie Hollidays Fine And Mellow. I think I've listened to this one about 50 times and it still gives me cold chills. Hope you enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! That was incredible! Thanks for posting it.
-Andy

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm on dial-up, so it's going to take me some time to check all this stuff out. I need to download these videos in order to watch them and they take quite a bit to download. I'm currently downloading the "Blues by the Step" Andy. But I'm going to go back and listen to some of the other videos that were posted too.

Andy,

Thanks for pointing out that "Blues by the Step" video, that's some pretty interesting stuff. I'll be gleaning over that in my lesson plans. I'm starting out with some far simpler chord progressions, and kind of playing the rhythm changes by feel. But it's nice to see this explained as inverted chord arpeggios, that's something worth knowing.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm on dial-up, so it's going to take me some time to check all this stuff out. I need to download these videos in order to watch them and they take quite a bit to download. I'm currently downloading the "Blues by the Step" Andy. But I'm going to go back and listen to some of the other videos that were posted too.

You would have thought that since you are located in Heaven - you'd at least have decent broadband!

PM sent.

A great blues starters backing track

You might want to consider Pete's instructional DVD. It includes a Bb blues backing track that is the simplest progression possible. I practice w that one all the time and then adapt what I'm playing to a quick change progression and other turnaround chords.

Petes backing track is this one:
I-I-I-I
IV-IV-I-I
V-V-I-I