support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Show us your reedcase

Boy do I feel "low tech". :doh: I have been using Rico Reedguards super glued together to hold six numbered reeds for as long as I can remember. Yellow is for "classical" and red is for "jazz". Someone gave the the one on the left as a gift and I have never used it.

View attachment 16152

That Rico case on the left is just fine. That's what I use(d) for cane... The nice thing is it holds any of SATB. I need to replace the humidifier inside or find something that works as well. Any suggestions?

Rico case on the left is for Soprano. Vandoren case on the right is for Tenor. I prefer the Rico case because it is easier to open and holds 8 reeds.

Why not use the Rico case for all?

I use an Alexander reeds tin, it holds four tenor and four alto in plastic sleeves.

If you realy want it, maybe you could order it through your favourite sax-shop that sells Vandoren? That would probably take away the P&P since they have a different distribution system.
or you could just cover up the hole with sticky tape.

Why not use the Rico case for all?
Good question. I'll probably change to use solely the Rico case soon.

I bought both to see which I preferred. After using both, I prefer the Rico case: holds more reeds; holds SATB sizes; can be stored in tenor sax case (doesn't fit in sop case). The Vandoren case must be kept in the open air, which is often inconvenient.

The advantage of two cases is one for each instrument gives me more reeds to rotate and, initially, more reed types to experiment with to find the sound I prefer.

Jay at Better Sax recommended the Vandoren case. He previously used the Rico case for many years but had mold problems.

I guess but how is it any better than the plastic case it comes in or just leaving it on the mouthpiece as I do now? Was hoping the humidity thing would allow me to play the reed straight away
Opinions differ on this but I believe leaving the reed on the mouthpiece promotes it to warp, plus on metal mouthpieces the humidity will accelerate metal corrosion. For me, keeping reeds on a flat surface in a proper case is a must.

Comparing to the plastic case they come in, those are typically flimsy and not as protective, but that's indeed a matter of preference.

The problem I had with the Rico reed case is that it would trap and mangle the end of the reeds, especially bari reeds.

I really never had that problem! :oops: Of course, if you're a bit clumsy, that could happen.

We all have bad our days... :rolleyes: And it will get worse until it gets better.

Mr Protec's finest. nothing particularly flash but it does the job
20201115_123621.jpg

Is the reed case usb powered or is it powering the laptop? :confused2:

With all these cables, it's hard to understand what's going on...

Is the reed case usb powered or is it powering the laptop? :confused2:

With all these cables, it's hard to understand what's going on...
I know...
... All the hip cats have wireless charging on their reed cases these days.

I have a simple reed case that I got over 40 years ago. Unfortunately, I cannot attach an image.

I needed instruction! Here is a picture of my very old reed case, c. 1975 It holds 4 reeds, alto or tenor. No special moisture element, but it does allow them to dry reasonably straight. It may be a Rico with the Vito name on it.

IMG_0065.JPEG
IMG_0066.JPEG

Back
Top Bottom