support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Shameless Self Promotion - Soul Vipers

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
It's looking like the rhythm & blues band I've been putting together for what seems like forever is finally turning into a real group. All told, there are 10 people involved (up to now - another horn or bone would be cool ;)), so you can imagine what it's like trying organise 10 working musos. But a band it looks like it's finally become, and I'm a happy honking horn player. :D

Fingers crossed I'll be telling you all about our first Memphis Rhythm & Blues Revue shows by spring. I'll be honest, it's only about 90% Memphis R&B and soul as we're throwing in a couple of surprises that fit into the style, one of which I don't think I've ever heard of or seen a band like us doing - at least not in the UK. I'm so excited that I have to tell someone and you lot are the only people who'll know what I'm talking about. We're doing What Is Hip, and no, we haven't simplified it in any way. :eek: :happydance:

Now this is my sort of Christmas present. :D

insta-logo2.jpg

my group ballooned to 8 members for a short time ...and THAT was REALLY an unwieldy beast.

It's taken me a while to work out how to run a band this big - you've got to have musicians who are good enough to be in the band but aren't so busy that you can't even organise a rehearsal.

I think it's there now ... he says tempting fate.

Lets organize a Café field trip to their debut gig!

A load of great horn players at your first gig - no pressure then! :eek: :D

As with everything it didn't all quite go to plan and was looking very unlikely again ... but it all came together a couple of days ago when we went from still not having a singer to having two gospel-singing ladies who can really, really sing.

The hard work starts now. The Soul Vipers will see you soon. :D

Sounds intersting. I've done thsi a couple of times. It would be interesting to know how you are working with this project/band. I guess you have no problems in musicians to join. It's so hard to get muscians.. Ok it's smaller over here. Also hard to hold together a band for us. Most of musicians are playing in other bands (big bands, concert bands, jazz band ...) as well. We used to play at small street festivals and I had to work hard to get the band a gig. It's not fun to cancell or to pay for subs becuase they give priority to other bands. .

Good luck with the band. I love Memphis and Muscle Shoals music. Memphis Soul Stew is a great song.

It would be interesting to know how you are working with this project/band.

In what way?

I guess you have no problems in musicians to join.

I wish! :D

I guess it's the same with most bands - it's been a combination of 'who you know' and advertising. As hard and frustrating as it's been up to now, I've probably been pretty lucky really.

Also hard to hold together a band for us. Most of musicians are playing in other bands (big bands, concert bands, jazz band ...) as well.

The same's true here, too. Everyone in the band is in at least two other groups. It's incredibly incestuous, though, as we're all in each other's bands. :D

Good luck with the band.

Thanks. :D

Congratulations Dave, its a lot of work and frustration along the way but hopefully well worth the rewards. Interestingly we've found vocalists to be the most flakey when it comes to rehearsing but great vocals make such a difference, so sometimes we have to take a deep breath and just go with it.