PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Selmer USA Alto Sax, what are your opinions please?

Melissa

I have a customer that has a 1998 Selmer La Voix Alto, in Copper? finish, not sure if it is completely, or just the bell as know nothing of them whatsoever, played a lot since then so I cannot see it yet, but advised that it plays well and is in good condition.

I believe he feels it is worth around £800- £1000, as purchased it new for around $1800.00, and whilst just off the top of my head in thinking, Selmer USA 2008, Asian probably, possibly a nice horn?, but perhaps half his valuation-? sorry, I just do not know to be precise:confused2:. He advises it is on the heavy side due to illness/injury and felt that some of the vintage ones-i.e. Conn etc are lighter. Plus, he likes it, but says it is a bit thin whilst playing next to his pals with Chuberrys and such..:rolleyes:

Can anyone please enlighten me regards this, I have advised I would not be offering those sums as part -ex, however, I would like him to get the best deal possible for his horn, and would like to be able to put him in the right direction, what is it really worth in say very good condition and playing out of the case? And if so, Would any one wish for it? If so, I shall speak to him, get him to join the cafe and put it in the yard sale-or me on his behalf.

My knowledge of modern horns is very limited i'm afraid, I would sooner him able sell it quickly to be honest to go towards paying for the vintage one

Thank you for your help:)

16 year old Taiwanese sax (probably)? I don't think they were that good then. For the money he's suggesting you could get a Yamaha or a Yanagisawa. I should say I have no direct experience of this particular model and if it's actually a Yanag stencil then I apologise. Perhaps someone like Milandro will be along shortly to confirm or deny.

I'm surprised he thinks it's a bit thin compared to a Chu. I had one and any modern sax would walk all over it.

In the late 90's Selmer USA had AS110, AS 210, AS 300. I don't know if they offer the La Voix model as well in the 90's? La Voix had the "Ultra Bell Design" to offer a larger and more rubost tone. Maybe it was a AS 210 with copper bell?

Never played a LaVoix. I think you could buy one for c $ 1800.00 according to cataloges I have. Probably a good sax. IMO the Selmer USA saxes are not easy to sell over here. And I don't think it's a "vintage" or "milestone" sax! A Yamaha 4X is probably a better buy.

Right, it is Taiwanese made, copper and big bell. Any more input please?

I don't know if it's made in Taiwan? But I think a read an article in Saxophone Journal in the -90's about Selmer USA new saxes and they were made made in Elkhart according to the article. I can't say if the LaVoix is an Elkhart sax. The Selmer USA company renamed some of thier old models, Formely Bundy II and Signet saxes had new letters and numbers.

$1800 is under £1100, so he thinks it's worth used virtually the same as the new cost? From what I've seen on eBay, I'd guess £200-£300 for a mid range Taiwanese horn like this, if in good condition.

it doesn`t sound like something to get excited about - or to get involved with unless very cheap .. there are way too many totally superb Altos about in the £800 - £1000 bracket used and new around to give a used 90s Taiwanese made one a second thought at anywhere near this money ..

There may be ways to assist the guy though (also if he wants to part ex against one of your axes Melissa) such as sell on his behalf. In this economic climate you want to help people who have money to spend.

There may be ways to assist the guy though (also if he wants to part ex against one of your axes Melissa) such as sell on his behalf. In this economic climate you want to help people who have money to spend.

:) Yes Prof, this is what he was getting at, but he was asking too much for his against one of mine, he is also a student/or music college-though I believe up in the higher grades regards sax playing and music, but would still like to try and place the sax for him if he has no joy.

Bless, he must be eager as is coming all the way from Leeds by train, our nearest one is Peterborough- 12-15 or so miles away, but I have offered to pick him up 'to and fro' the station. I have said I would help him as much as possible anyhow.

Nice of him to suggest- but he seriously believes he can get me playing take 5 before he leaves!

Good luck on Friday. Can't wait to hear you post Take 5 !!!

I would love to too, I still need to get a mic and other equipment, sales are slow- if it does sell I shall buy the Mic everyone recommended.. Though obviously, would have dire nerves about posting due to my low opinion of my own playing:oops: Plus help with just how to upload them etc.

But I suppose it would be great in a self harming way! I am working on Canteloupe Island today.. going fairly well I suppose, but I am not anywhere near as good as most on here!:verysad

I did an Ebay search over the past 12 months and only 1 used Lav Voix was advertised in that period of time. It was a 280 RB in black nickle and it went for $780 US---roughly £470. Apparently used ones are as scarce as "hen's teeth" and are just as valuable. :)

I did an Ebay search over the past 12 months and only 1 used Lav Voix was advertised in that period of time. It was a 280 RB in black nickle and it went for $780 US---roughly £470. Apparently used ones are as scarce as "hen's teeth" and are just as valuable. :)
I woinder JBTsax if you would kindly post a photo and some more information about these horns? I have never heard of it.

Some info here:
http://jazztimes.com/articles/17201-selmer-la-voix-saxophones
It may be as good as they say in the reviews, but as already pointed out by others, it may be a difficult one to shift unless you price it very keenly. Unless you get it rock bottom, you're unlikely to make a decent profit as a part-ex (it stinks and I know you're trying to help the guy out, but that's the reality).
As far as Asian made Selmer-Conn, I have tried only tried the Selmer Prelude and Selmer Liberty LAS501 with big bell, so a student and a "upper student" model, the first I believe Chinese and the second Taiwanese, both very well made and look very good, but in my opinion the sound just wasn't there (although the Liberty was the better sax of the two).
Hope this helps a bit....

Mel, do check that it's a la voix ( Taiwanese) and not a La Vie ( Chinese) the former being the better of the two if yo believe what you read on other forums and reviews online.
If the liberty is anything to go on then it'l be built like a tank and heavy too. Probably not an easy horn to re sell as they're not as popular over here. sax.co sell the la vie (which has a High G key) for £899 new but dont sell the La Voix. (probably due to its price point)

Back
Top Bottom