support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

scales and first song

rob1969

Morning all well after reading lots of stuff on the web I decided to give it ago
Started with scales so you will have to tell me if i am doing wrong
First i played c 6 fingers with pinkie then d, e, f,g,a,b,c, first finger
And back down again this is the c scale yes?
Then did the g scale d scale a scale e scale f scale that was about 2 hours long and not at speed
Well this is my target for Christmas i want to be able to play some carols for the family
Then i tried to mix things up a little with 3rds and 5ths not do very well with that bit
Sat back and tuck 5 mins break cleaned her out went for cig and and cold drink
And not a beer if that’s what you’re thinking
Then i sat down and looked at some books i have collected i.e. tune a day saxophone
And sax mania not be playing any from that for a long time yet so i had a go at
When the saints. Slow speed but got to the end
Any feedback

Hi Rob
Not sure what you mean "..c, first finger". First (index) finger left hand (L1) is B. You only get C with that if you use the R2 side key as well, but that's the alternative way. The easiest way to get upper C (C2) is second finger left (L2) only. Most tuition books have a fingering chart to help you.

It sounds rather a lot to manage all that in one session early on. I would suggest small chunks repeated often, rather than all at once (sax playing or digestion, it's all the same...).

YC

Sounds like a good start. Keep working your way through them day by day and they'll come natural soon. Most importantly, don't think of them as 'mechanical exercises' that you train your fingers to do - listen to the sound of the scale and the intervals that make it sound that way.

Listen to how they all follow a pattern. Learn to hear the pattern (the intervals) and then you'll be able to find any scale by playing 'the pattern' rather thnn knowing it mechanically.

Hope that makes sense. Seounds like a great start though, keep at it.

Phil

Hi Phil this is going to sound stupid that why I joined forum it not because i don’t want to learn the sax
And why I asked for help from someone owe lived in hull
It’s because I am dicleckic so I find it hard to learn from books and as I’ve just been
Made redundant I can t afford a teacher I wanted to buy Pete’s DVD I only get £60 a week
And my partner only work part time so money going now were at moment I find it easier if i follow
Someone if you now what i mean
I can only write on forum when i use office
So you are very lucky to how this only me partner now this its something i keep close to me
Well all the best and keep blowing

Rob
If I'm understanding you right, don't drop the first finger down to the second key. It's too long a stretch, but anyway, it doesn't belong there! The second finger does. Your fingers should fall fairly naturally on the right key touches and that's where they stay generally.

You should never let dyslexia stop you doing anything. There are some pretty succssful people who are dyslexics - Sir Jackie Stewart and Sir Richard Bransom among them. There is minor dyslexia in my family and I was in my mid thirties before I knew what it was. Recognition and working round it is the key. You need some tuition that will fit your particular learning style - so I can understand why you prefer to have someone show you how the sax works. Good luck in finding someone on here who is local. Also as Phil says, try to hear the sound of the scales. And I still think, don't try to do too much at once. Get a couple of simple scales nailed first!

By the way, dyslexics are often good lateral thinkers, even if they can't always explain how they got to an answer laterally! :welldone

Colin

HI Rob,

I would say you should start posting in the 'beginner's questions' section as not everyone reads this section, you might be missing some good advice out there.

And cheers Phil, I've been doing it the mechanical way myself - I know the sound of those scales so well, they get stuck in my head all day- I'll try to 'use the force'.

thanks

hi every one thanks for all your help in the forum its been a great help 3 yrs ago i decided i wanted to learn to play somthing so i got a electric guitar and add about 6 mth of lessons never had a clue what he was on about then i read somthing about lick liburay dvds so i get fret bourd navigator 1& 2
scales and cords that fit them and it all came to me so you see what i mean about dvds . they can help people like my self . i dont think its the same with the saxophone only found pete,s but it will have to wait till money comes in

thankyou everyone :)

hi

HI Rob,

I would say you should start posting in the 'beginner's questions' section as not everyone reads this section, you might be missing some good advice out there.

And cheers Phil, I've been doing it the mechanical way myself - I know the sound of those scales so well, they get stuck in my head all day- I'll try to 'use the force'.

hi sloth i have just made 2 threads in beginners when i click on submit somthing poping up and can,t catch what is says but can.t find them what is happening

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom