PPT

Saxophone - The Universal Method download

Moz

Locality
North of Liskeard, Cornwall,UK
You were very very lucky. There's zero tolerance for this sort of thing. If this had held the flight up - or caused luggage to be unloaded, you'd have a court case and possible prison to contend wth...

Many years ago (before the airport staff were anywhere near as twitchy as today) a friend made this mistake, joked there was a bomb in his luggage, saying it was on the theory that if he had the bomb the chances of there being another one were zero (quoting a comedian, somehere). He was arrested, and ended up in court, fined and a big legal bill to pay.

While attempting to take anything explosive on to a plane is not to be encouraged (unless you are a RAF armourer) I do think some of those people in airport security get a bit like little Hitlers with their holier-than-thou attitudes to even the most innocuous joke about terrorist activities. After a terrorist event it is always the case that it isn't the terrorist that ends up being the problem but rather the 'saviours of the human race'; the police, security guards and other such bodies that end up causing us the inconvenience, much of the time so that they can feel self-important. If we just got on with our lives after a terrorist event with minimal changes to our lifestyles instead of restricting our activities in more draconian ways and yes, having a laugh at the terrorists, things would not seem and indeed not actually be, so bad.

Cheers

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:

Moz

Locality
North of Liskeard, Cornwall,UK
PS What a great book. Thanks for the link.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Martin, I agree - but look at the other side, a bomb is missed, something happensand there'll be trial by the media, resulting in..... I wouldn't like to be doing the check in job.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
And unfortunately there are few pages missing from the pdf, including the diagram about "how to make your own reeds" (page 15 of the pdf)

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Now I am getting excited!
Has anyone ever seen a buffet with the "three new patent keys for the low Bb B and Csharp" page 26 of the pdf?

BigMartin

Locality
Manchester, UK
Now I am getting excited!
Has anyone ever seen a buffet with the "three new patent keys for the low Bb B and Csharp" page 26 of the pdf?

They can't do that! It would take away the one thing that's easier to do on the clarinet than on the sax. Oh, apart from support the weight of it.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Please let's not start with clarinet issues: I am trying to convince a repairer to install rollers on one of my clarinets.

BigMartin

Locality
Manchester, UK
Please let's not start with clarinet issues: I am trying to convince a repairer to install rollers on one of my clarinets.

Well, just one more post...;}

Don't do it! It's so much easier and smoother to use the alternate keys once you get used to them. I played the clarinet for 20 years and a handful of pieces required me to slide from Eb to Db (or Ab to Gb in the lower register). I can't remember what sequence of notes forces you into this now. Other than that there was always an easier way. Whereas playing a B major scale down to A# on sax is just horrid.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Thanks Big Martin. I simply don't like too much LH F/C (it's not bluesy!) and I am sort of in love with Ref Böhm.

On the sax side, alternate keyworks are usually interesting pieces of engineering, even when they don't work.
I remember a Selmer alto modified in order to have trill on the low notes. Heavy, baroque and useless.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich

Just get a German (Oehler) system clarinet, they're pre-installed.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
thanks Kev, but I think on the Oehler notes are on the wrong order. A bit like driving in UK.
Probably the German (and Viennese) great clarinet tradition is just a marketing trick to make us buy a Reform Böhm; two years waiting list and a lot of money to have a couple of rollers and some extra venting.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
There isn't that much difference in the fingering, a friend who plays Boehm clarinet and sax picked my son's up and was able to play it without a problem. Different fingering for some notes, but mostly the same. Sounds rather different, due to the bore and mouthpiece differences, of course.

If you want to go simple, there's always Albert system, favoured by a lot of the old jazzers, which is similar to Oehler.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Thanks Kev. I am a bit of a clarinet freak recently. The two Ref Böhm I tried (a Wurlitzer and a Hammerschmidt) are a dream.
The best compromise I found is the Leblanc Dynamic H: Belgian design, big bore (15mm, like most germans), french keywork. Followed by old big bore Selmers. That Bb/F on the Öhler drives me crazy.

But since we are talking about methods, I would love to find one of those old clarinet books that say: "when the reed becomes too soft, open the lay with some sandpaper".

Apparently it's true, since reeds were more rare and expensive than mouthpieces.

Featured

Top Bottom