support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Sax ID Lignatone Alto SN 24893

Petlyn

Hi thanks for dropping in.

I have a Lignatone Alto SN 24893 umpteen years old. I need it to go to a new home however I can't find any information on it but I 'think' I remember Keilwerth ?? being mentioned many years ago, however doing searches Amati appears in the mix too. I thought with the serial number so prominent there would be no problem finding its history but I've now given up and look to 'the guys'. Its design is to me quite unique in having rolled tone holes, I think I remember an old Conn I had in the early 60's had them so if it's a Student's horn why the super tone holes ??

It needs a good overhaul as it squeaks in the lower register whereas the upper register plays OK. There's an obvious leak in a key to cause this problem which obviously needs urgent attention especially as the pads look original, combined with the corks disintegrating so a service is required urgently, I suppose this could be offered perhaps on eBay as a "project" however I will need to identify the sax 'properly' should it be worth "a few bob" more than I was letting it go for. The lacquer is reasonable but shows the usual aging.

I have lots of pics if they will help !! Thanks if you can help Cheers P...

I think your Lignatone was made in the mid 50's. Lignatone was Amati's export name/brand. So it's a saxophone that was made in Czeckoslovakia. After ww II the first Amatis were engraved with Toneking and stamped with JKG (Keilwerth logo). I guess your alto is the "Classic" model. "Classic" from c 1955-1972, "Super Classic" and "Classic Deluxe" from c 1972-1990, "ASS, AAS, ATS ABS" 1990-.

I think your Lignatone was made in the mid 50's. Lignatone was Amati's export name/brand. So it's a saxophone that was made in Czeckoslovakia. After ww II the first Amatis were engraved with Toneking and stamped with JKG (Keilwerth logo). I guess your alto is the "Classic" model. "Classic" from c 1955-1972, "Super Classic" and "Classic Deluxe" from c 1972-1990, "ASS, AAS, ATS ABS" 1990-.
p1.jpg
p2.jpg
p6.jpg
p5.jpg
p1.jpg

Thanks for your quick reply 'impressed'. I am now in a quandary but the ID is getting very close I feel. You were spot on with your identification the only thing I cannot see is the Keilwerth logo and I do remember Keilwerth being mentioned when I bought it in 1066. Anyway I have attached a few pics which basically confirms your explanation. I assume despite the amazing tone holes it's not worth a kings ransom ??

The JKG logo/trademark is on the back below rh thumbrest. Your sax is not a "Classic" model it's a "Toneking"/Lignatone /JKG built by Amati. I have an alto 25XXX Keilwerth made in Nauheim, West-Germany. Keilwerth had some problem with getting thier tools and machines out from Czeckoslovakia after WW II. In the early 50's Keilwerth also did saxes with softsoldered toneholes.

The JKG logo/trademark is on the back below rh thumbrest. Your sax is not a "Classic" model it's a "Toneking"/Lignatone /JKG built by Amati. I have an alto 25XXX Keilwerth made in Nauheim, West-Germany. Keilwerth had some problem with getting thier tools and machines out from Czeckoslovakia after WW II. In the early 50's Keilwerth also did saxes with softsoldered toneholes.

Thank you Thomsax very much. These old eyes could not make out the logo but I can now see the three letters thanks.

May I be so bold as to ask one last question. You say it is not the Classic therefore I 'assume' the value (if any) of this model is less than the Classic ??

The "JKG" Amitis use to go for more money than the "Classic" models. "Classic" and "Super Classic" have straight toneholes, no rolled toneholes. Amati saxes in the 60's, 70's became more a low price/student/beginner sax. But the knew who built saxes. They made complete stencils saxes, parts and/or assembled saxes for Keiwerth, Couf, Toptone, SML, King ......

The "JKG" Amitis use to go for more money than the "Classic" models. "Classic" and "Super Classic" have straight toneholes, no rolled toneholes. Amati saxes in the 60's, 70's became more a low price/student/beginner sax. But the knew who built saxes. They made complete stencils saxes, parts and/or assembled saxes for Keiwerth, Couf, Toptone, SML, King ......

This is PERFECT information thank you Thomsax I can now put it on eBay and get myself ready for the World Cruise on it's sale. This Website is the perfect platform for Saxophone knowledge and I am so grateful to the members as yourself.

It remains to say, thanks again and do Stay Safe.

Hi guys, I
View attachment 18441View attachment 18442View attachment 18443View attachment 18444View attachment 18445

Thanks for your quick reply 'impressed'. I am now in a quandary but the ID is getting very close I feel. You were spot on with your identification the only thing I cannot see is the Keilwerth logo and I do remember Keilwerth being mentioned when I bought it in 1066. Anyway I have attached a few pics which basically confirms your explanation. I assume despite the amazing tone holes it's not worth a kings ransom ??

Hi guys,
I've been searching alot on the web trying to find more information about a saxophone i bought years ago on auction.
It's the same as attached pictures in this thread but the serial no is 25051.
I'm curious about what I could sell it for today and if you know more details about it other than whats been mentioned here :)