support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Roller keys getting caught by each other!

Micheal Murray

Hello Saxers,
I have recently started renting a soprano saxophone all is good in it except when I took it out to play when I first got it a few days ago, I could play all the notes (maybe not the very high e and eb but thats about practice :p) except for the low Bb. I just thought it was me but tonight when playing it I realised that it was one of the roller keys for the left pinkie getting caught on another key, im not sure if Im describing this well enough but basically on the left pinkie I have to apply extra pressure to be able to play the note and when I do I can play it just fine so I am pretty sure its the sax, its a jupiter 547 Gl ( I think thats the correct name). Maybe I should send it back to the guys im renting it from as it was like that when I got it as I have never dropped it once since I have got it. Any advice would be appreciated here guys! (and gals!) ^_^

Thanks in advance
Regards,
Micheal

It is not uncommon for the LH table (pinky) keys to get bent in slightly. This is usually caused by setting the sax down on its side with the keys getting bumped. You may be able to grip the outermost key with your fingers and pull out gently to reset the keys to their original position. There should be a small space between each of the rollers when they are either in the pressed or non-pressed position.

If this pulling out with the fingers doesn't work I'd advise taking it to a repair tech. Above all, don't try to adjust keys with a tool if you don't have experience doing so.

Could be bent, could also be adjustment. Can you see that the keys are bent? Do they close evenly all the way round, or does one side/front/back close first?

Have a look at how the B/Bb pads close as you press the Bb key. My guess is that Bb is closing after B. And then as you put more pressure on, Bb eventually closes as the B pad compresses. They should both close at exeactly the same time.

Like JBTSAX said, it should go back, but if you can find the right adjuster screw you should be able to get Bb to close better. But get it wrong and you'll lose B as well - or make it worse. So make a note of the starting position of the screw and then keep a track of how much adjustment you've given it. That way you can always turn it back to where you started from.

Okay so I Unbent the two keys getting caught and they are all good now, but I still have the problem with the pads not going down at the same time, like you said Kev, im a bit nervous about lowering the pad and am wondering should I just take it to a tech near by to adjust it? How much would it cost roughly since its only really that pad that needs adjusting? and if adjusting it myself what other notes would be affected by it?
Thanks for the help so far guys!

Jim's right.

But - if you get the right screw, then there's not a lot you can do wrong. And the only other key it'll affect is the B. Could also be that you didn't get the bend right. Which key closes first? And remember it's closure you're really trying to adjust, not the height when it's open. These are not really related.

Its the B natural key that isnt closing properly. How would one go about adjusting the closure, anywhere I can read about it or watch someone actually doing it? Maybe I should just take it to a local tech :p

Thanks!

If the low B pad closes when the low B key is pressed, and the low Bb pad closes when the low Bb key is pressed BUT when the low Bb key is pressed the low B pad does not close completely do the following:

-Look at the low B key from the side and identify the metal tab that extends out from the key to the area under the Bb key.

-This tab usually has a piece of thin cork or felt on the top to quiet the mechanism when the low Bb key contacts the B key.

-If the cork or felt has come off, this would cause the adjustment problem.

-You can make a temporary replacement pad by stacking several pieces of plastic tape or masking tape to make the right thickness, and then cutting a small square the size needed. Use the end of a long needle to put the pad in place and press down on the Bb key.

-If the pad is not missing and you are brave you can try to bend the B tab up slightly. To do this hold the low B key down with one finger while at the same time carefully pressing up on the tab extending out from the key with a finger on the other hand.

-Keep checking to see if the low Bb closes the B completely.

-If you went too far and now the low Bb doesn't close, hold the low B key up with one hand and with the other carefully press down on the Bb key to bend the tab back down. Sometimes techs go back and forth till the proper adjustment is found. Be careful you don't bent it so many times it becomes a "pop off tab". If that happens, you will definitely need to go to the tech.