support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Rico Graftonite alto mouthpieces

SaxMart

Hi looking for a new alto mouthpiece, does anyone have experience of Rico graftonite please? I use a Rico metalalite M7 on tenor and like it but for alto would prefer something a little less bright thanks
Marty

I will discolse this, right off the bat:

I think all Ricos are godawful. Just terrible.

And I have tried them, and gone back to them after a year and tried again...and again...at the suggestion of their fans who kept saying " you should really give it another chance in a while".

Each time, my impression was the same. Didn't matter whether graftonite or metalite.

I am not saying this to be snarky or insult you. If your metalite on tenor makes you happy, good on ya'.

I am responding here to say: spread your wings a bit and try something other than Rico.

There are a LOT of GOOD (read: much better) inexpensive mouthpieces out there that do so much more. Blow freer, sound better, respond better, are fabricated with greater precision.

Bari Esprit
Brilhart Ebolin
Hite Premier (if you are OK with approaching a "middle" tip opening)
Fobes Debut

all jump to mind immediately....they will all blow much 'richer' and 'fuller' sounding than your metalite....and blow more easily as well.

Last edited:
I agree with the above.
Horrible mouthpieces, in my opinion.

You can do much better!

As you are unsure, and don’t know what you want, DONT buy new.

You will immediately lose money if it isnt right for you.

The good news is, you can buy second hand and move it on at little or no financial loss if it doesn’t work for you.

The standard for many years on alto is a MEYER. Try to find a 5 or a 6 in a medium chamber. They can take you in any dircection you want.

Good luck

I will discolse this, right off the bat:

I think all Ricos are godawful. Just terrible.

And I have tried them, and gone back to them after a year and tried again...and again...at the suggestion of their fans who kept saying " you should really give it another chance in a while".

Each time, my impression was the same. Didn't matter whether graftonite or metalite.

I am not saying this to be snarky or insult you. If your metalite on tenor makes you happy, good on ya'.

I am responding here to say: spread your wings a bit and try something other than Rico.

There are a LOT of GOOD (read: much better) inexpensive mouthpieces out there that do so much more. Blow freer, sound better, respond better, are fabricated with greater precision.

Bari Esprit
Brilhart Ebolin
Hite Premier (if you are OK with approaching a "middle" tip opening)
Fobes Debut

all jump to mind immediately....they will all blow much 'richer' and 'fuller' sounding than your metalite....and blow more easily as well.
Hi thanks for your advice and I will check out some alternatives I already have a bari esprit alto which I quite like but it is very close tip opening to my yamaha 4C which I have recently gone back to. Perhaps I could try a 6C or 7C as I feel I definitely want a wider tip opening - something around a Meyer 5M or 6M without spending too much initially
Thanks
Marty

I agree with the above.
Horrible mouthpieces, in my opinion.

You can do much better!

As you are unsure, and don’t know what you want, DONT buy new.

You will immediately lose money if it isnt right for you.

The good news is, you can buy second hand and move it on at little or no financial loss if it doesn’t work for you.

The standard for many years on alto is a MEYER. Try to find a 5 or a 6 in a medium chamber. They can take you in any dircection you want.

Good luck

Thanks for advice, a lot of shops do offer a 14 day home trial so may go down that route with maybe a Yamaha 6 or 7C as I definitely want a wider tip opening from my 4C. I did try a Lakey 6* in a shop a while ago which I quite liked for its power and cut (I play in a soul/funk band with loud guitars) however I felt it was just a bit too open for me and they don't regularly stock the 5*. I also like the idea of a Meyer 5M or 6M but trying to keep cost down for now
Cheers
Marty

You'd probably want the Meyer 6 as opposed to the 5. That's a good choice, usually.

Hite Premier is another one to look at, quite inexpensive, available only in a medium tip, but produces a much lusher, wider tone than a Yama 5, 6, 7C. But the Yamas still better than the Ricos.

You'd probably want the Meyer 6 as opposed to the 5. That's a good choice, usually.

Hite Premier is another one to look at, quite inexpensive, available only in a medium tip, but produces a much lusher, wider tone than a Yama 5, 6, 7C. But the Yamas still better than the Ricos.
Thanks for advice, since I do want a wider tip opening I'm now thinking, Yamaha 7C (for cheapness), Meyer 6, or possibly Lakey 5* or 6* ( for the edginess ). Another alternative is a Windcraft ebonite etude which is modelled on a Meyer G and is available on 14 day home trial for around £50

Interesting, would you say that the metalite is probably a bit more of a 'colourful' blow?
It can be. It all depends on the size and the reed and the player. I tried an M7 on tenor and baritone. Sounded like a chainsaw. I've heard a classical player producing an almost cello like sound with the same piece.
My M11 clarinet piece produces the sweetest most clarinety sound with a rico royal 3.5.
They are well worth trying and good value for money. They sell on easily if they're not for you. I like them.

It can be. It all depends on the size and the reed and the player. I tried an M7 on tenor and baritone. Sounded like a chainsaw. I've heard a classical player producing an almost cello like sound with the same piece.
My M11 clarinet piece produces the sweetest most clarinety sound with a rico royal 3.5.
They are well worth trying and good value for money. They sell on easily if they're not for you. I like them.
Thanks Colin I have to say I quite like my tenor M7 - great for rock and roll but I'm also managing to tame it a bit and sub tone it

The good thing about Rico mouthpieces is they are cheap to try

I've tried some and like @JayeNM I don't rate them. I simply can't get much sound out of even the widest tip

So they seem a tad Marmite

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom