support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Reed strength

Legere Signatures are great reeds but you need a lower number than you think, compared with other needs. I use a Signature 2.25.

Useful to know, thank you. Does anyone know if there is a 'try out service' provided by any seller? It seems a no-brainer to try and replace them as more lasting and ready out the box reeds, but not being able to try them, at such a price, hm, not ideal

Useful to know, thank you. Does anyone know if there is a 'try out service' provided by any seller? It seems a no-brainer to try and replace them as more lasting and ready out the box reeds, but not being able to try them, at such a price, hm, not ideal

Legere offer an exchange service, if you get the wrong strength or type ( signature or studio or regular) they will exchange it once. You return the reed directly to the address is on their website The service is fairly quick.

It is my impression that my signature 2.25s have got softer over the 6 months or so that I have had them. I wonder what other users think.

Signature and Studio reeds certainly have a different feel/taste/texture when compared with cane, not unpleasant just different, and give a different sound.

Legere offer an exchange service, if you get the wrong strength or type ( signature or studio or regular) they will exchange it once. You return the reed directly to the address is on their website The service is fairly quick.

It is my impression that my signature 2.25s have got softer over the 6 months or so that I have had them. I wonder what other users think.

Signature and Studio reeds certainly have a different feel/taste/texture when compared with cane, not unpleasant just different, and give a different sound.

Just to clarify, do you mean they have got softer from new, meaning the strength has changed, or that they get softer with use?

Just to clarify, do you mean they have got softer from new, meaning the strength has changed, or that they get softer with use?

Sorry to confuse you, they have got softer with use. I would not be surprised if they have, after all they are some sort of plastic and plastic that is continually flexed will eventually fail. I have two Signature 2.25 and the younger one seems stiffer than the older one. Those are my impressions, I have not read anything on the Legere website saying they get softer but Legere do say they will eventually fail but do not say how to recognise that.

Have you found the reed comparison chart on the Legere web site? The 2.25's that I have are about 6 months old and are definitely softer than the two Rico Royal 2.5 's that I switched to a few weeks ago. The chart shows them as approximately the same. I would appreciate some comments on this from other users and @Pete Thomas opinion would be of great value.

I decided to try Legere reeds because I was tired of the fuss with cane and from that point of view they are good. I was given a 3.5 Plasticover a few weeks ago and there is no fuss with that, it seems to blow like cane but at 3.5 I find it too stiff to comfortably blow top to bottom on my regular mouthpiece. It is something else to think about and maybe try.

Last edited:
Good luck trying to find a "try out" service. Legere synthetic reeds are harder than normal cane reeds hence it has been suggested that you come down one quarter in the strength size. That is true for Forestone reeds as well in my experience.

Useful thread for me this, thanks Lesley. I wonder how long it takes to know that one particular strength is the right one? I've only been playing for a week now, after that really stupid 36 year long break, hated rico 1.5, fully expected 2.5 to be a doddle, but it wasn't, so got three no 2 reeds through the post this morning, and it's close to perfect. But now I've had a taste of the Legere reed, which was slightly too hard at 2.25, well, I still really like the idea of them. As I used to play a 3 on the tenor I'm really confused now, will I develop to go up a notch or two, or what? And, can I harden the 1.5 with that sticky tape approach I've seen online, on the base? Or is that all nonsense? I never have regrets about life, giving up the sax though, I'm really beating myself up on it, which is pointless, I know... sorry, digressed there...

Hi GiGi. Dont forget that you may not have the best mouthpiece yet. What you are using in week one is unlikely to be the mpc you will be using in week 12. Unless of course you have gone for bust and spent a pile and got it right.

Reed and mouthpieces are two variables and getting both of them right is more than twice as difficult as getting either one of them right. But as I say, I have come a long way, but I know that I am not the master of the reeds. I think a better player would not find it such a puzzle. Reed, mpc, get on with it sort of thing. I cant, I have to switch combos now and then.

I dont mind that, but I would love to be the player who can pick up a sax and play it through a piece of drain pipe with a nail file tied underneath it

Cheers
Mike

Useful thread for me this, thanks Lesley. I wonder how long it takes to know that one particular strength is the right one? I've only been playing for a week now, after that really stupid 36 year long break, hated rico 1.5, fully expected 2.5 to be a doddle, but it wasn't, so got three no 2 reeds through the post this morning, and it's close to perfect. But now I've had a taste of the Legere reed, which was slightly too hard at 2.25, well, I still really like the idea of them. As I used to play a 3 on the tenor I'm really confused now, will I develop to go up a notch or two, or what? And, can I harden the 1.5 with that sticky tape approach I've seen online, on the base? Or is that all nonsense? I never have regrets about life, giving up the sax though, I'm really beating myself up on it, which is pointless, I know... sorry, digressed there...
Hi Gigi I sent you a reply on my thoughts of the reed problem but went offline so lost the bleeding lot but in the meantime other members have given you info. Also check tameingthesaxophone site for help and advice. Best of luck and go forward :)

Hi GiGi. Dont forget that you may not have the best mouthpiece yet. What you are using in week one is unlikely to be the mpc you will be using in week 12. Unless of course you have gone for bust and spent a pile and got it right.

Reed and mouthpieces are two variables and getting both of them right is more than twice as difficult as getting either one of them right. But as I say, I have come a long way, but I know that I am not the master of the reeds. I think a better player would not find it such a puzzle. Reed, mpc, get on with it sort of thing. I cant, I have to switch combos now and then.

I dont mind that, but I would love to be the player who can pick up a sax and play it through a piece of drain pipe with a nail file tied underneath it

Cheers
Mike

Thank you - I got the Yamaha 4c, and yes, it's a matter of time, need to get that one into my head. There was a reggae band in Finsbury Park, in Marriott Rd I played with, Reggae is very easy and repetitive, and I suppose I just expected to just carry on and remember everything I've ever learnt. Especially what Pete taught me. I don't, and it's bugging me. But hey, onwards and upwards..

Hi Gigi I sent you a reply on my thoughts of the reed problem but went offline so lost the bleeding lot but in the meantime other members have given you info. Also check tameingthesaxophone site for help and advice. Best of luck and go forward :)

Thanks, Lesley, yes, I've pinned TTS as a constant tab. Obsessed... :D

You were right, Jeanette, that was such good advice, been playing so much and now the 2.25 plays pretty easily already, cool. I like them so much! I like the sax so much! I'm a very happy woman. :)
Great stuff :)

Really pleased to hear that, I love your enthusiasm

Jx

I wrote to Legere asking for some guidance on how to know when synthetic reeds are worn out, I have pasted their reply below.

"Dear Rob,

Thank you for contacting us for advice on how to recognize when it is time to retire your current reed.

Longevity of the reed depends on how long and often a player uses the reed. Style of play is also a factor. Our reeds are known to last anywhere between two to six months. The reeds will eventually fatigue and become permanently softer, losing their tone quality. In materials science, fatigue is the weakening of a material caused by repeatedly applied loads.

We recommend that you keep at least three reeds on hand, rotating reeds periodically. Play all three reeds at least once or twice per week, not just your favorite one. That way they will all keep developing and you will have spares that work well when your favorite is worn out or breaks. Play your favorite about 75% of the time and the other the remainder. As your favorite gets a little old and weaker, you will be able to tell because your backup reeds are still fresher and springier. Do not get used to one “good reed”; it will become progressively weaker and so will your lip muscles. All subsequently used reeds of the same strength will seem too hard.

With proper care and maintenance, your Légère reed should provide you with many hours of playing pleasure. For further details on caring for your reed please visit Caring For Your Reed | Légère Reeds .

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me! Thank you for your support of Légère Reeds Ltd!

***IMPORTANT NOTICE: Our Exchange Policy process has been improved and was implemented on January 6th, 2016. You will still have the same great opportunities as before but the submission process will require you to secure an RMA# (Return Merchandise Authorization) prior to shipping us your reed. This RMA# will be obtainable through our website Légère Reed Exchanges | Légère Reeds.

Kind Regards,

Julie Vardy

Sales Production Liaison/Consumer Relations

Telephone:(705) 735-1559 ext. 106
Fax: (705) 735-4097

E-mail:customerservice@legere.com

Update, - though I was pretty happy with the Legere 2.25, I splashed out and ordered myself a 2.0 from Reeds Direct, best price I could find, and it is just that bit easier to play, it's kind of nice to have the option. Been practising for an hour and find it tough to fathom why anyone would still want to bother with bamboo reeds. Yes, they are lovely and natural, but the Legere Signature, to my ear, sounds just as good, feels lovely and clean and solid and dependable and consistent, so.. I'm a fan. :)

Back
Top Bottom