support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Reed strength

Yes Saxdon, need to go to sax.co or somewhere similar, just such a mission going to London (or fill in blank).

I know it may be a little silly, but I am just gonna go with the windcraft etude........

Wine and jazz chords are a lethal mix to a beginner as myself. Thank you for the support though Jeanette......

Jazz chords, I didn't say anything about jazz chords.....

Jx

Yes Saxdon, need to go to sax.co or somewhere similar, just such a mission going to London (or fill in blank).

I know it may be a little silly, but I am just gonna go with the windcraft etude........

But we are bringing mouthpieces to Cardiff......

Jx

You can come sit with me, we'll find a nice bottle of red and get slowly relaxed :)
Jx

Why is it always assumed there is an affair going on, can't women be friends with men without sleeping with them! :)
Jx
Going by the first quote you probably will be sleeping together, just don't drown the saxophones out with the snoring.

Going by the first quote you probably will be sleeping together, just don't drown the saxophones out with the snoring.
Actually I was wrong to disagree Targa a glass of red and relaxing and I am quite likely to nod off :)

Jx

Why is it always assumed there is an affair going on, can't women be friends with men without sleeping with them

Probably, but it has never seemed to work the other way.

REEDS. I use loads of different reeds. I still like to play around with them. I think there is a temptation to use a softer reed than may be best. At the top end, the difference in a half step up can change the tone from weedy to great. A harder reed may also stop squeaking. When I use eg a rico plasticised 31/2 I get a bit of a jaw ache for a while, but if I keep with it the ache goes away and the tone really pleases me. A lot different from a 21/2. With PPT mpcs scaffold planks work best for me, but I cant get the low notes.

I usually find I use the same old reed at gigs though. Cos I know pretty well what it will do and how it will behave. If I were a better player I might be the boss of all reeds, but as it is some of them get the better of me.

For a few years I stuck with one reed. Then I liberated myself and I have four or five different ones in my box and play with them all.

Its fun, just try something new now and then.

Mike

I'm tucking on to this thread, hope that's ok, as I'm wondering if it's advisable to ask for an exchange of the box of free Rico 1.5 that came with new my G4M alto sax for the promised Rico 2. The reed that's been on the mouthpiece has gone soggy and reedy on me, and I'm so tempted to open the free box of 1.5s, but having played Rico 3 on my tenor years ago I suspect that 1.5 is too soft for me. Quandary, do I go through the hassle and wait to have the reeds swapped, or are 1.5s a good embouchure training strength anyhow? I've played loads, not really wanting to wait...

I'm tucking on to this thread, hope that's ok, as I'm wondering if it's advisable to ask for an exchange of the box of free Rico 1.5 that came with new my G4M alto sax for the promised Rico 2. The reed that's been on the mouthpiece has gone soggy and reedy on me, and I'm so tempted to open the free box of 1.5s, but having played Rico 3 on my tenor years ago I suspect that 1.5 is too soft for me. Quandary, do I go through the hassle and wait to have the reeds swapped, or are 1.5s a good embouchure training strength anyhow? I've played loads, not really wanting to wait...

I suspect 1.5 may be too soft. Ring up G4M and test their customer support . (I would say you might be better of with 2s). While you're at it complain about the instruction DVD diaphragm vibrato sexist and suggest a different DVD :)

RICO 2 will probably be to soft as well. Sell your 1,5 box and get an adequate strength of at least 2,5. Playing with only 1 reed is a bit risky anyway. I am amazed how people try to save on reeds when reeds are so central to playing. A matching reed is much more fun to play. Do yourself a favour and spend some money.

Alphorn

I suspect 1.5 may be too soft. Ring up G4M and test their customer support . (I would say you might be better of with 2s). While you're at it complain about the instruction DVD diaphragm vibrato sexist and suggest a different DVD :)

The instruction DVD suggestion will be brought forth with optimal people skills, fear not. :) :) :) 2s it is then.

@Alphorn, Grüß Gott, 2.5 wasn't on offer in this case, so just using the options available. And being wise about it.

I'm impressed with the umlaut and scharfes Ess, Gigi. I can never find them when I want them.

I'm impressed with the umlaut and scharfes Ess, Gigi. I can never find them when I want them.

:) I'm German, Andrew, and arrived in the UK as a technical translator many moons ago, I should know. The sharp S is on the dash above the P, the ü the square bracket, ö on the semi colon, ä on the inverted commas, when switched over to the German keyboard. It's a pain, isn't it. Heh..

To be honest I think I'm just going to end up getting a Legere Signature 2.5 eventually. All this faff with reeds...

Und ich bin von Deizisau, do isch dr Himmel blau.. ok, no more bilingualism, I promise. ;)

To be honest I think I'm just going to end up getting a Legere Signature 2.5 eventually. All this faff with reeds...

Und ich bin von Deizisau, do isch dr Himmel blau.. ok, no more bilingualism, I promise. ;)
Legere Signatures are great reeds but you need a lower number than you think, compared with other needs. I use a Signature 2.25.

Now I want to see the "sexist" diaphragm vibrato video. :banana:

Back
Top Bottom