support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Reed strength

I've been playing for 4 weeks and am using a Yamaha 4c mp.
I'm a beginner myself, and my teacher often pair Yamaha 4C with a 2.5 Vandoren Blue Box. I however am using a different setup. You can try the one he recommends. He said the 4C with a the 2.5 Vandoren Blue Box is usually a combination for people who started out. So it might be to your preference.

462581000904166-00-250x250.jpg

jbtsax......ah -ha, the kazoo sound. Perfect to how my high notes sound lately, thinking of moving up from rico royal 2.

Did try vandoren 2.5 few months ago, but could not get it going properly (maybe time to try again?)

I am thinking of trying the rico royal filed jazz, do they really make a difference, want a "jazzier" sound.

By all means try as many reeds as you can afford. As far as the sound they will produce, disregard the names.

Some makes do not use the same number for the same strength as others.

A Vandoren blue 2.5 will be more like a Rico Royal 3. Check the chart above.

For Baritone I use a Vandoren 4 or a Rico royal 5. The 5 is just a little softer than the 4.

Rico royal and Vandoren blue are both filed but slightly different cuts.

If it's a filed reed you like, then make sure the reeds you're buying are filed.

I think the kazoo sound is also about pushing the sound up into the sinus and nasal area. Try to keep it in the throat. It's very easy to think high when playing high notes and push them up into the top of your head. Finger high but voice low for a fuller tone.

Does that make any sense at all?o_O

This diagramwill help to understand what manufacturers are talking about when they bang on about the latest new design.

http://www.daddario.com/resources/Rico/pdf/reed_anatomy.pdf

Yes Colin, that does make sense.

I think as a beginner, higher notes may sound a little thin, part of learning and working technique. Will definately try to play it like that tomorrow.

When I recorded myself, I was fairly happy with my tone, however, realised my higher notes were a bit thin.

I am hopefully getting a windcraft etude for xmas (partner gives up now on what to buy me, so this is one of my presents), just thought I would give filed rico (or any brand really) a go........

Thanks (as always) for reply

You've set me off now. After using Vandoren blue for ages and being very satisfied, the last batch were awful. I've just ordered a box of Gonzalez regular cut from Dawkes. Nice price.

I've tried the Rico reserve classic in the past and found them very consistent and with a fuller tone up top. They're called D'Addario reserve now. They're a bit more expensive and harder to source but well worth a try. Taste nice too.

If you have a teacher then they are in the best position to make the call at the moment. If not, then experiment.

I know the Yam 4C is an excellent plastic student mouthpiece. However, I still remember the joy I had when I moved to a hard rubber mouthpiece after a few months starting on plastic. The difference was night and day - I got a much fuller, even tone straight away and that only improved after I spent more time with it.

Saxdon, I did have a jody jazz, however the d would split when i attempted to play faster runs etc, sort of dented my concentration and faith in it. Went back to the yam 4c because I could relax and focus on other bits and bobs......as mentiones earlier, getting a windcraft etude at xmas

Colin I will definately try the rico reserve classic........and many others. Noticed that sax.co do a group of reeds from different companies, good idea.

Saxdon, I did have a jody jazz, however the d would split when i attempted to play faster runs etc, sort of dented my concentration and faith in it. Went back to the yam 4c because I could relax and focus on other bits and bobs......as mentiones earlier, getting a windcraft etude at xmas

Wait until after Cardiff and try Ed's pieces too :)

Jx

There are so many variables it can be frustrating! A good half day in a sax shop trying stuff can do wonders, even at an early stage.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom