support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Recommended mouthpiece for Soprano

half diminished

Locality
Buckinghamshire
Now I have the sop (Rampone & Cazzani R1 Jazz Saxello) I need a decent mouthpiece/reed combo. Suggestions welcome.

I used a Link 6 ebonite on alto. Chops much better now so using JJ DV NY 7* on tenor.

I love the JJ but am not inclined to shell out £300 again! I would also guess that stock of sop mps will be low in dealers - even at sax.co or will they have a good variety? What about opening sizes if I play 7* on tenor, what should I play on sop?

Also, I'm using Marca Jazz reeds (3).

I've tried Selmer C** (stuffy, dull), Bari Gold (excellent) Yanagisawa ebonite X 2 (very good) old Buescher (very stuffy), cheapo Chinese (awful) Runyon metal (good) Berg Larsen ebonite (made it sound like an oboe). Bari Gold was much the best. Runyon and Yanagisawa might be for sale if you're interested.

I bought me a cheap Graftonite which works really well, it cost me £18.00!

As for Sax.co.uk they have more mouthpieces than you'll ever see in your lifetime!!

Yanagisawa metals are well spoken of so look one of those bad boys up.

Simon:)))

Hi there!

1. Certainly the Bari Gold and ebonite mouthpieces are highly thought of. I vary between a Vandoren V16 S6 ebonite, and a Brancher Metal Jazz J15 - both have a 6 tip opening.

2. The tip opening question is an interesting one. On Tenor I play an 8, on Alto a 7, and on Soprano a 6. Having tried various sizes these seem the ones that work best for me.

3. I have a Yani 5* and a Rico Graftonite B7 which I am happy to loan you if it helps to clarify what sound you are looking for.

4. Congrats on getting a R&C Saxello. I used to play a R&C Straight soprano.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

As for Sax.co.uk they have more mouthpieces than you'll ever see in your lifetime!!
/QUOTE]

Yeh but unfortunately not in all sizes. I could only try a JJ DV 7, JJ DV NY 6* and 8*. I have to wait over 6 weeks to get one (7*) in the end.

It's also a flippin' long way for me and the Landan shop has a lot less stock.

Did you get a mouthpiece with the saxello and if so what is it and how do you like it ?

My two best soprano mouthpieces are a Berg Larsen (older one) and an old Selmer. They are each 0.065" tip opening, which equates to about a 6* and suits me fine.

Other nice pieces to consider if you can get access to try them out might include: Lebayle, Bari ebonite, SR Tech, Morgan and Pillinger. I also liked a Meyer when I tried that out.

Good luck

Rhys

PS Howarths in London usually have a reasonable stock of soprano mouthpieces and there is also Dawkes. I'm not sure what has happened to John Myatt in Hitchen, but that used to be good also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started Soprano in the New Year (Bauhaus) with a 7* link and am now on a 3 reed and making a nice sound. I play 7*link and 21/2's on the tenor. on another forum there seemed some great concern that this mouthpiece opening (soprano) was far too wide for an amateur like me but I found it easier to play than a smaller one. Good luck.

Did you get a mouthpiece with the saxello and if so what is it and how do you like it ?

My two best soprano mouthpieces are a Berg Larsen (older one) and an old Selmer. They are each 0.065" tip opening, which equates to about a 6* and suits me fine.

Other nice pieces to consider if you can get access to try them out might include: Lebayle, Bari ebonite, SR Tech, Morgan and Pillinger. I also liked a Meyer when I tried that out.

Good luck

Rhys

PS Howarths in London usually have a reasonable stock of soprano mouthpieces and there is also Dawkes. I'm not sure what has happened to John Myatt in Hitchen, but that used to be good also.

Yes there is an ebonite R&C which has a 1* marking on it and I will stick with that short-term I think as I don't have much time at present. I didn't get time to get a Yam 5m yesterday. The reeds I have are Marca Jazz 2.5, La Voz Medium and one Marca Classic 2 which is the softest of the lot. I am finding that my lip is getting sore - a problem I don't get on tenor at all.

I have a Selmer mouthpiece for my soprano, but I found the trusty Yamaha 4c worked fine too - it's only a cheapie sop, but it's very playable.

BTW, Rhys, Myatt's is still there in Hitchin, although they moved across the road to slightly smaller premises a while back. They still manage to stock quite a good selection of mouthpieces and other stuff, though.

Hi,

On soprano, I like the Selmer Super Session, the Bari HR, Yanagisawa metal and Yanagisawa HR. Probably in that order.

Robert

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm concentrating on tenor at present and Karen my teacher has asked me to focus on that for the next couple of months so the sop is not being used much. The embouchure is quite a bit different so I don't want to mess up the progress I am making on tenor. Can't resist a few blows though - it's such a beauty!

I see to have made a big leap forwards again which is rather welcome after being on a plateau for a few weeks.

Yes there is an ebonite R&C which has a 1* marking on it and I will stick with that short-term I think as I don't have much time at present. I didn't get time to get a Yam 5m yesterday. The reeds I have are Marca Jazz 2.5, La Voz Medium and one Marca Classic 2 which is the softest of the lot. I am finding that my lip is getting sore - a problem I don't get on tenor at all.

I know the problem with sore lips. The Corby Massive cajoled me into playing sop in Dooces absence, OMG half an hour of playing upper octave music and I was done! I usually play baritone which is the exact opposite.

Back
Top Bottom