Tutorials

Program for online lessons

Guenne

Good morning,
I use Zoom, Facetime, Duo, Skype and WhatsApp.
Of all, Zoom had the least problems in maintaining a stable and reliable connection. I can tell because I switched from Hangouts to Duo to Zoom with one of my students (with a not so great connection).
It's easy to manage, I even can record myself with my DAW and my student can watch/listen via sharing my desktop.
I'm saying this well aware of all the things that have been found out about Zoom lately.
One important thing:
You can use Zoom as the host and the participants don't have to use Zoom at all, they don't have to install anything or subscribe.

I'm using two mics, one for speaking, and one für sax. When I'm teaching clarinet, I'm also using the voice mic as a second mic (gooseneck).
The mics are going into a UA interface, so I even can put a compressor on my voice and some reverb on the instrument. You can disable automatic gain control in Zoom.

Cheers, Guenne

Last edited:

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
Good morning,
I use Zoom, Facetime, Duo, Skype and WhatsApp.
Of all, Zoom had the least problems in maintaining a stable and reliable connection. I can tell because I switched from Hangouts to Duo to Zoom with one of my students (with a not so great connection).
It's easy to manage, I even can record myself with my DAW and my student can watch/listen via sharing my desktop.
I'm saying this well aware of all the things that have been found out about Zoom lately.
One important thing:
You can use Zoom as the host and the participants don't have to use Zoom at all, they don't have to install anything or subscribe.

I'm using two mics, one for speaking, and one für sax. When I'm teaching clarinet, I'm also using the voice mic as a second mic (gooseneck).
The mics are going into a UA interface, so I even can put a compressor on my voice and some reverb on the instrument. You can disable automatic gain control in Zoom.

Cheers, Guenne
Sounds like an excellent setup! Yes, with different folks at the other end, each has a different challenge, connection, hardware, etc. You definitely want to make it as frictionless as possible for the student.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
My saxophone teacher uses Zoom. As @Guenne said, it doesn't require the student to have any software loaded on their computer or tablet - just a web browser.

But with Zoom, you should disable the Automatic gain and the suppressors for persistent and intermittent background noise in the advanced audio settings. Otherwise the sound gradually disappears if anyone plays a long tone.

Also with Zoom, the default settings seem to be no audio and no video.

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
The early days of Zoom, they installed a server on your computer and you had no choice. I believe they've toned down most of the complaints about their activities now, such as selling data to Facebook. As far as I know, the initial contact when you invite someone was to install software. I heard there was a way to refuse and get it in the browser, but it doesn't use the common WebRTC technology that has become a standard.

My prejudice is admittedly based on on a feeling I have, but if it works for you (meaning anyone seeing this), thee's no reason to worry. Yet...

OP
aldevis

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Quick update:

I gave two lessons using both Zoom and Skype

- Some parameters require fiddling, like auto gain (found on Zoom) or correct light to avoid stop sax from Shining™ too much.
I also found out that Skype can control the gain of my new EVO interface. Weird, but can be useful

- Latency makes many aspects of my teaching just impossible

- I haven't found yet how to share the sound from other apps, like iTunes. But there must be an easy solution

- I trust the sound of the student, but subtleties are not there

- Looking forward to teaching in person again

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
how to share the sound from other apps
Back in the day, this used to work fine. Depending on how recent your Mac is, that may vary.
More powerful, not free but up to date:

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom