support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Price of a relacquered sax

Yes, the price of relacquered (vintage) sax is usually lower compared to an original. A complete overhaul included lacquer/plating. But that's not the case anymore. The big repairshops had thier own laqcuer/plating rooms.

I have some relacquered older saxes that are really nice. The playablity is equal to the original saxes.

If the relaquer job (relacquering, cleaning, buffing ...) is done correct I think it's ok. A good way to buy an old good sax for less money. Playablity is #1?

Thomas

The impression I get from reading some of he comments on SOTW is that relacquering can affect negatively the desirability, and therefore the price, of some saxophones, such as the Selmer Mk VI. I am sure it is all to do with originality and not related to playability. Some saxophones made between the wars are also preferred in original condition. It seems that for many post-war instruments Thomas's third paragraph is applicable.

Can you imagine how much it would cost to do a good job and being honest types, like what we are, we would own up to the fact that it had been done. The nice shiney finish and colour might just give the give the game away >:)
I'm just a sour puss 'cos my '37 B.A. alto was ruined at a cost of £800 (the quote was £500) :crying:

John.

If you are referring to the Conn 10M on fleabay, I must admit is very tempting :} However, I'd asked to see more images, especially of the out-of-focus bell engraving and where the sling ring has been removed from and too. The starting price is a little high IMO but will probably go for a bit more.