• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners Playing Alto & Tenor

Everywhere I've just checked, people "who look like they know what they are talking about" say the lip acts as a cushion between the reed and the teeth(as I thought). If this is correct and you don't have larger than average lips, surely you are folding your lip back over your teeth?

I read this when I first picked up the horn. It played havoc with my bottom lip though. I think as I've become more accustomed to playing and my embouchure has got stronger, my lower lip has moved out and it no longer covers my bottom teeth. I get a much better tone (to my ear) that way. But go with what feels and sounds best for you.
 
Everywhere I've just checked, people "who look like they know what they are talking about" say the lip acts as a cushion between the reed and the teeth(as I thought). If this is correct and you don't have larger than average lips, surely you are folding your lip back over your teeth?
My jaw is low, teeth below the lip. My lip forms a flat cushion against the reed. Lip above the teeth, not folded over.
 
Curling the lower lip over the teeth is a habit from my clarinet days that I had to consciously break when returning to saxophone a couple years ago. But my lip still curls over sometimes when playing alto.
 
I found I’d cut my lip much more if i rolled it over my teeth. When my chops tire and I start to bite down on the mouthpiece I’d start to make my lip bleed.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,265
Messages
576,192
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom